Bivariate Distributions with Given Extreme Value Attractor
A new class of bivariate distributions is introduced and studied, which encompasses Archimedean copulas and extreme value distributions as special cases. Its dependence structure is described, its maximum and minimum attractors are determined, and an algorithm is given for generating observations from any member of this class. It is also shown how it is possible to construct distributions in this family with a predetermined extreme value attractor. This construction is used to study via simulation the small-sample behavior of a bivariate threshold method suggested by H. Joe, R. L. Smith, and I. Weissman (1992, J. Roy. Statist. Soc. Ser. B54, 171-183) for estimating the joint distribution of extremes of two random variates.
Volume (Year): 72 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deheuvels, Paul, 1991. "On the limiting behavior of the Pickands estimator for bivariate extreme-value distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 429-439, November.
- Einmahl, J. H. J. & Dehaan, L. & Huang, X., 1993.
"Estimating a Multidimensional Extreme-Value Distribution,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 35-47, October.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & de Haan, L. & Xin, H., 1993. "Estimating a multidimensional extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 2816eb0c-8f15-4111-94f5-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Genest, Christian & Rivest, Louis-Paul, 1989. "A characterization of gumbel's family of extreme value distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 207-211, August.
- Yun, Seokhoon, 1997. "On Domains of Attraction of Multivariate Extreme Value Distributions under Absolute Continuity," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 277-295, November.
- Einmahl, John H.J. & de Haan, Laurens & Sinha, Ashoke Kumar, 1997. "Estimating the spectral measure of an extreme value distribution," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 143-171, October.
- J Einmahl, .H. & de Haan, L. & Sinha, A., 1997. "Estimating the spectral measure of an extreme value distribution," Other publications TiSEM ac22e123-1e5d-448a-981e-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Joe, Harry & Hu, Taizhong, 1996. "Multivariate Distributions from Mixtures of Max-Infinitely Divisible Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 240-265, May.
- Takemi Yanagimoto & Masashi Okamoto, 1969. "Partial orderings of permutations and monotonicity of a rank correlation statistic," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 21(1), pages 489-506, December.
- Joe, H., 1993. "Parametric Families of Multivariate Distributions with Given Margins," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 262-282, August.
- Ali, Mir M. & Mikhail, N. N. & Haq, M. Safiul, 1978. "A class of bivariate distributions including the bivariate logistic," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 405-412, September.
- Hüsler, Jürg & Reiss, Rolf-Dieter, 1989. "Maxima of normal random vectors: Between independence and complete dependence," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 283-286, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)