Building patient-centeredness: Hospital design as an interpretive act
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Waring, Justin J. & Bishop, Simon, 2010. "Lean healthcare: Rhetoric, ritual and resistance," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(7), pages 1332-1340, October.
- Zandbelt, Linda C. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Oort, Frans J. & Godfried, Mieke H. & de Haes, Hanneke C.J.M., 2006. "Determinants of physicians' patient-centred behaviour in the medical specialist encounter," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 899-910, August.
- Glick, Peter, 2009. "How reliable are surveys of client satisfaction with healthcare services? Evidence from matched facility and household data in Madagascar," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-379, January.
- Lupton, Deborah, 1997. "Consumerism, reflexivity and the medical encounter," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 373-381, August.
- Epstein, Ronald M. & Franks, Peter & Fiscella, Kevin & Shields, Cleveland G. & Meldrum, Sean C. & Kravitz, Richard L. & Duberstein, Paul R., 2005. "Measuring patient-centered communication in Patient-Physician consultations: Theoretical and practical issues," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 1516-1528, October.
- Timmermans, Stefan & Almeling, Rene, 2009. "Objectification, standardization, and commodification in health care: A conceptual readjustment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 21-27, July.
- Mead, Nicola & Bower, Peter, 2000. "Patient-centredness: a conceptual framework and review of the empirical literature," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 1087-1110, October.
- Evans, Joshua D. & Crooks, Valorie A. & Kingsbury, Paul T., 2009. "Theoretical injections: On the therapeutic aesthetics of medical spaces," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 716-721, September.
- Hekkert, Karin Dorieke & Cihangir, Sezgin & Kleefstra, Sophia Martine & van den Berg, Bernard & Kool, Rudolf Bertijn, 2009. "Patient satisfaction revisited: A multilevel approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 68-75, July.
- Laws, Jennifer, 2009. "Reworking therapeutic landscapes: The spatiality of an 'alternative' self-help group," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 1827-1833, December.
- Hopper, Kim, 2007. "Rethinking social recovery in schizophrenia: What a capabilities approach might offer," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 868-879, September.
- Sarah Curtis & Wil Gesler & Kathy Fabian & Susan Francis & Stefan Priebe, 2007. "Therapeutic landscapes in hospital design: a qualitative assessment by staff and service users of the design of a new mental health inpatient unit," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(4), pages 591-610, August.
- Beardwood, Barbara & Walters, Vivienne & Eyles, John & French, Susan, 1999. "Complaints against nurses: a reflection of 'the new managerialism' and consumerism in health care?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 363-374, February.
- Kearns, Robin A. & Ross Barnett, J. & Newman, Daniel, 2003. "Placing private health care: reading Ascot hospital in the landscape of contemporary Auckland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 2303-2315, June.
- van de Glind, Irene & de Roode, Stanny & Goossensen, Anne, 2007. "Do patients in hospitals benefit from single rooms? A literature review," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(2-3), pages 153-161, December.
- Gesler, Wilbert M., 1992. "Therapeutic landscapes: Medical issues in light of the new cultural geography," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 735-746, April.
- Potter, Sharyn J. & McKinlay, John B., 2005. "From a relationship to encounter: an examination of longitudinal and lateral dimensions in the doctor-patient relationship," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 465-479, July.
- Hewett, David G. & Watson, Bernadette M. & Gallois, Cindy & Ward, Michael & Leggett, Barbara A., 2009. "Intergroup communication between hospital doctors: Implications for quality of patient care," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 1732-1740, December.
- Atkinson, Sarah & Medeiros, Regianne L., 2009. "Explanatory models of influences on the construction and expression of user satisfaction," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(11), pages 2089-2096, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria de Fátima Castro & Ricardo Mateus & Francisco Serôdio & Luís Bragança, 2015. "Development of Benchmarks for Operating Costs and Resources Consumption to be Used in Healthcare Building Sustainability Assessment Methods," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(10), pages 1-27, September.
- Liberati, Elisa Giulia & Gorli, Mara & Moja, Lorenzo & Galuppo, Laura & Ripamonti, Silvio & Scaratti, Giuseppe, 2015. "Exploring the practice of patient centered care: The role of ethnography and reflexivity," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 133(C), pages 45-52.
More about this item
KeywordsPatient-centeredness; Hospital design; USA; Medical professionalism; Consumerism; Patienthood;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:75:y:2012:i:6:p:1057-1066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.