Investigating performance improvement of solar collectors by using nanofluids
The present review is an extensive perspective of the research progress arisen in the performance of solar collector using nanofluids. The increase in the price of fossil fuels and rapid depletion of conventional energy sources are among the major energy concerns. Solar collector, as a kind of green and renewable energy device, can help us stay out of these energy concerns. Low efficiency and high cost of solar collectors compared with the conventional devices persuade scientists and engineers to make effort to increase performance of solar collectors. Nanofluid – the suspension of nanoparticles into a basefluid – has predominant characteristics because of nanoparticles' small size and high surface area. Many researchers evaluated these special properties of nanofluids, using several methods and techniques. Mathematical and numerical methods are practiced and experimental methods come to validate the results. Using nanofluid instead of conventional fluid improves heat transfer as well as optical and thermal properties, efficiency, transmittance and extinction coefficient of solar collector. Based on comprehensive studies, it has been also realized that the thermal properties of nanofluid such as thermal conductivity have significant effect on improving the efficiency of direct solar absorption collectors. On the other hand, using nanofluid is a big challenge in terms of economical aspects. Moreover, there is a lack of study on the effect of nanofluid's optical properties such as transmittance and extinction coefficient on the performance of solar collector. Similarly, effort should be made to perform two-phase analysis of nanofluid and study properties of nanofluid with more than one type of nanoparticle.
Volume (Year): 28 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saidur, R. & Abdelaziz, E.A. & Demirbas, A. & Hossain, M.S. & Mekhilef, S., 2011. "A review on biomass as a fuel for boilers," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 2262-2289, June.
- Trisaksri, Visinee & Wongwises, Somchai, 2007. "Critical review of heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 512-523, April.
- Abdelaziz, E.A. & Saidur, R. & Mekhilef, S., 2011. "A review on energy saving strategies in industrial sector," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 150-168, January.
- Mekhilef, S. & Saidur, R. & Safari, A., 2011. "A review on solar energy use in industries," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 1777-1790, May.
- Thirugnanasambandam, Mirunalini & Iniyan, S. & Goic, Ranko, 2010. "A review of solar thermal technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 312-322, January.
- Nafey, Abmed Safwat, 2005. "Simulation of solar heating systems--an overview," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 576-591, December.
- Saidur, R. & Leong, K.Y. & Mohammad, H.A., 2011. "A review on applications and challenges of nanofluids," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 1646-1668, April.
- Hellstrom, B & Adsten, M & Nostell, P & Karlsson, B & Wackelgard, E, 2003. "The impact of optical and thermal properties on the performance of flat plate solar collectors," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 331-344.
- Adsten, M & Perers, B & Wäckelgård, E, 2002. "The influence of climate and location on collector performance," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 499-509.
- Tsoutsos, Theocharis & Frantzeskaki, Niki & Gekas, Vassilis, 2005. "Environmental impacts from the solar energy technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 289-296, February.
- Yousefi, Tooraj & Veysi, Farzad & Shojaeizadeh, Ehsan & Zinadini, Sirus, 2012. "An experimental investigation on the effect of Al2O3–H2O nanofluid on the efficiency of flat-plate solar collectors," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 293-298.
- Saidur, R. & Mekhilef, S., 2010. "Energy use, energy savings and emission analysis in the Malaysian rubber producing industries," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(8), pages 2746-2758, August.
- de Risi, A. & Milanese, M. & Laforgia, D., 2013. "Modelling and optimization of transparent parabolic trough collector based on gas-phase nanofluids," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 134-139.
- Godson, Lazarus & Raja, B. & Mohan Lal, D. & Wongwises, S., 2010. "Enhancement of heat transfer using nanofluids--An overview," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 629-641, February.
- Mekhilef, S. & Saidur, R. & Kamalisarvestani, M., 2012. "Effect of dust, humidity and air velocity on efficiency of photovoltaic cells," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2920-2925.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:28:y:2013:i:c:p:232-245. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.