Impact of transportation contract on inventory systems with demand cancellation
Supply contracts often specify the quantity of inventory for shipments where retailers are liable to pay for ordering costs if order quantity exceeds the contracted size. We analyze a periodic review system where the firm manages its demand that are reserved with a one-period leadtime together with a multi-tier supply contract. We show that the optimal inventory policy has the primary structure of “finite generalized base stock” policy whose critical numbers depend on reservation parameters. The single, multiple periods and the infinite horizon models are studied. The presence of ordering costs needs a different approach from that in Yuan and Cheung (2003) to analyze the infinite horizon model.
Volume (Year): 137 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mordechai Henig & Yigal Gerchak & Ricardo Ernst & David F. Pyke, 1997. "An Inventory Model Embedded in Designing a Supply Contract," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 184-189, February.
- Yeo, Wee Meng & Yuan, Xue-Ming, 2011. "Optimal inventory policy with supply uncertainty and demand cancellation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 26-34, May.
- Chiang, Chi & Gutierrez, Genaro J., 1996. "A periodic review inventory system with two supply modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 527-547, November.
- Yoichiro Fukuda, 1964. "Optimal Policies for the Inventory Problem with Negotiable Leadtime," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 690-708, July.
- Lian, Zhaotong & Deshmukh, Abhijit, 2009. "Analysis of supply contracts with quantity flexibility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 526-533, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:137:y:2012:i:1:p:45-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.