Estimating the space requirement for outbound container inventories in port container terminals
This paper proposes a method for allocating storage space to groups of outbound containers in port container terminals. For this allocation, a collection of adjacent stacks is reserved for each group of containers with the same attributes. The impacts of various space-reservation strategies on the productivity of the loading operation for outbound containers are discussed. A method is suggested for determining the size of the space requirement for outbound container yards.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taleb-Ibrahimi, Mounira & de Castilho, Bernardo & Daganzo, Carlos F., 1993. "Storage space vs handling work in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 13-32, February.
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Park, Kang Tae, 2003. "A note on a dynamic space-allocation method for outbound containers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 92-101, July.
- Cordeau, Jean-Francois & Gaudioso, Manlio & Laporte, Gilbert & Moccia, Luigi, 2007. "The service allocation problem at the Gioia Tauro Maritime Terminal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 1167-1184, January.
- Zhang, Chuqian & Liu, Jiyin & Wan, Yat-wah & Murty, Katta G. & Linn, Richard J., 2003. "Storage space allocation in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 883-903, December.
- Lim, Andrew & Xu, Zhou, 2006. "A critical-shaking neighborhood search for the yard allocation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1247-1259, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:133:y:2011:i:1:p:293-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.