Estimating the space requirement for outbound container inventories in port container terminals
This paper proposes a method for allocating storage space to groups of outbound containers in port container terminals. For this allocation, a collection of adjacent stacks is reserved for each group of containers with the same attributes. The impacts of various space-reservation strategies on the productivity of the loading operation for outbound containers are discussed. A method is suggested for determining the size of the space requirement for outbound container yards.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lim, Andrew & Xu, Zhou, 2006. "A critical-shaking neighborhood search for the yard allocation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1247-1259, October.
- Zhang, Chuqian & Liu, Jiyin & Wan, Yat-wah & Murty, Katta G. & Linn, Richard J., 2003. "Storage space allocation in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 883-903, December.
- Taleb-Ibrahimi, Mounira & de Castilho, Bernardo & Daganzo, Carlos F., 1993. "Storage space vs handling work in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 13-32, February.
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Park, Kang Tae, 2003. "A note on a dynamic space-allocation method for outbound containers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 92-101, July.
- Cordeau, Jean-Francois & Gaudioso, Manlio & Laporte, Gilbert & Moccia, Luigi, 2007. "The service allocation problem at the Gioia Tauro Maritime Terminal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 1167-1184, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:133:y:2011:i:1:p:293-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.