Evaluating order throughput time in 2-block warehouses with time window batching
Given the increased pressure on short delivery lead times, minimizing customer order throughput times is an important objective in warehousing operations. Warehouse managers can influence the responsiveness of their system through a number of controls, such as the order batching policy, the capacity of the picking and sorting operations, and the picking policy used (pick-and-sort versus sort-while-pick). This paper studies the impact of these controls on the average customer order throughput time in a numerical way, for warehouses with time window batching and separate picking and sorting functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vandaele, Nico & Van Nieuwenhuyse, Inneke & Cupers, Sascha, 2003. "Optimal grouping for a nuclear magnetic resonance scanner by means of an open queueing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 181-192, November.
- Chen, Mu-Chen & Wu, Hsiao-Pin, 2005. "An association-based clustering approach to order batching considering customer demand patterns," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 333-343, August.
- Le-Duc, Tho & de Koster, Rene M.B.M., 2007. "Travel time estimation and order batching in a 2-block warehouse," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 374-388, January.
- de Koster, Rene & Le-Duc, Tho & Roodbergen, Kees Jan, 2007. "Design and control of warehouse order picking: A literature review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 481-501, October.
- Gu, Jinxiang & Goetschalckx, Marc & McGinnis, Leon F., 2007. "Research on warehouse operation: A comprehensive review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Chew, Ek Peng & Tang, Loon Ching, 1999. "Travel time analysis for general item location assignment in a rectangular warehouse," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(3), pages 582-597, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:121:y:2009:i:2:p:654-664. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.