Identifying the greatest team and captain—A complex network approach to cricket matches
We consider all Test matches played between 1877 and 2010 and One Day International (ODI) matches played between 1971 and 2010. We form directed and weighted networks of teams and also of their captains. The success of a team (or captain) is determined by the ‘quality’ of the wins, not simply by the number of wins. We apply the diffusion-based PageRank algorithm to the networks to assess the importance of the wins, and rank the respective teams and captains. Our analysis identifies Australia as the best team in both forms of cricket, Test and ODI. Steve Waugh is identified as the best captain in Test cricket and Ricky Ponting is the best captain in the ODI format. We also compare our ranking scheme with an existing ranking scheme, the Reliance ICC ranking. Our method does not depend on ‘external’ criteria in the ranking of teams (captains). The purpose of this paper is to introduce a revised ranking of cricket teams and to quantify the success of the captains.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 23 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skinner Brian, 2010. "The Price of Anarchy in Basketball," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Borooah Vani K & Mangan John E, 2010. "The "Bradman Class": An Exploration of Some Issues in the Evaluation of Batsmen for Test Matches, 1877-2006," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-21, July.
- H. V. Ribeiro & R. S. Mendes & L. C. Malacarne & S. Picoli & P. A. Santoro, 2010. "Dynamics of tournaments: the soccer case," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 75(3), pages 327-334, June.
- Bracewell Paul J & Ruggiero Katya, 2009. "A Parametric Control Chart for Monitoring Individual Batting Performances in Cricket," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 5(3), pages 1-21, July.
- C. Sire & S. Redner, 2009. "Understanding baseball team standings and streaks," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 67(3), pages 473-481, February.
- E. Bittner & A. Nußbaumer & W. Janke & M. Weigel, 2009. "Football fever: goal distributions and non-Gaussian statistics," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 67(3), pages 459-471, February.
- A. Heuer & O. Rubner, 2009. "Fitness, chance, and myths: an objective view on soccer results," The European Physical Journal B: Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer;EDP Sciences, vol. 67(3), pages 445-458, February.
- Chen, P. & Xie, H. & Maslov, S. & Redner, S., 2007. "Finding scientific gems with Google’s PageRank algorithm," Journal of Informetrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 8-15.
- de Saá Guerra, Y. & Martín González, J.M. & Sarmiento Montesdeoca, S. & Rodríguez Ruiz, D. & García-Rodríguez, A. & García-Manso, J.M., 2012. "A model for competitiveness level analysis in sports competitions: Application to basketball," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(10), pages 2997-3004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:391:y:2012:i:23:p:6066-6076. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.