Noncentral matrix quadratic forms of the skew elliptical variables
In this paper, the noncentral matrix quadratic forms of the skew elliptical variables are studied. A family of the matrix variate noncentral generalized Dirichlet distributions is introduced as the extension of the noncentral Wishart distributions, the Dirichlet distributions and the noncentral generalized Dirichlet distributions. Main distributional properties are investigated. These include probability density and closure property under linear transformation and marginalization, the joint distribution of the sub-matrices of the matrix quadratic forms in the skew elliptical variables and the moment generating functions and Bartlett's decomposition of the matrix quadratic forms in the skew normal variables. Two versions of the noncentral Cochran's Theorem for the matrix variate skew normal distributions are obtained, providing sufficient and necessary conditions for the quadratic forms in the skew normal variables to have the matrix variate noncentral generalized Dirichlet distributions. Applications include the properties of the least squares estimation in multivariate linear model and the robustness property of the Wilk's likelihood ratio statistic in the family of the matrix variate skew elliptical distributions.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loperfido, Nicola, 2001. "Quadratic forms of skew-normal random vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 381-387, October.
- Arnold, Barry C. & Beaver, Robert J., 2000. "The skew-Cauchy distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 285-290, September.
- Fang, B.Q., 2005. "Noncentral quadratic forms of the skew elliptical variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 410-430, August.
- Marc Genton & Nicola Loperfido, 2005. "Generalized skew-elliptical distributions and their quadratic forms," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 57(2), pages 389-401, June.
- Branco, Márcia D. & Dey, Dipak K., 2001. "A General Class of Multivariate Skew-Elliptical Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-113, October.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- Fang, B. Q., 2003. "The skew elliptical distributions and their quadratic forms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 298-314, November.
- Sutradhar, Brajendra C. & Ali, Mir M., 1989. "A generalization of the Wishart distribution for the elliptical model and its moments for the multivariate t model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 155-162, April.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2005. "On fundamental skew distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 93-116, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:6:p:1105-1127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.