Single-index quantile regression
Nonparametric quantile regression with multivariate covariates is a difficult estimation problem due to the "curse of dimensionality". To reduce the dimensionality while still retaining the flexibility of a nonparametric model, we propose modeling the conditional quantile by a single-index function , where a univariate link function g0([dot operator]) is applied to a linear combination of covariates , often called the single-index. We introduce a practical algorithm where the unknown link function g0([dot operator]) is estimated by local linear quantile regression and the parametric index is estimated through linear quantile regression. Large sample properties of estimators are studied, which facilitate further inference. Both the modeling and estimation approaches are demonstrated by simulation studies and real data applications.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2005.
"Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1238-1249, December.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 721, Econometric Society.
- Keming Yu & Zudi Lu, 2004. "Local Linear Additive Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(3), pages 333-346.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu Y. & Ruppert D., 2002. "Penalized Spline Estimation for Partially Linear Single-Index Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1042-1054, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:101:y:2010:i:7:p:1607-1621. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.