Single-index quantile regression
Nonparametric quantile regression with multivariate covariates is a difficult estimation problem due to the "curse of dimensionality". To reduce the dimensionality while still retaining the flexibility of a nonparametric model, we propose modeling the conditional quantile by a single-index function , where a univariate link function g0([dot operator]) is applied to a linear combination of covariates , often called the single-index. We introduce a practical algorithm where the unknown link function g0([dot operator]) is estimated by local linear quantile regression and the parametric index is estimated through linear quantile regression. Large sample properties of estimators are studied, which facilitate further inference. Both the modeling and estimation approaches are demonstrated by simulation studies and real data applications.
Volume (Year): 101 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lee, Sokbae, 2005.
"Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1238-1249, December.
- Sokbae Lee & Joel L. Horowitz, 2004. "Nonparametric Estimation of an Additive Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 721, Econometric Society.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of an additive quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yu Y. & Ruppert D., 2002. "Penalized Spline Estimation for Partially Linear Single-Index Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1042-1054, December.
- De Gooijer J.G. & Zerom D., 2003. "On Additive Conditional Quantiles With High Dimensional Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 135-146, January.
- Yingcun Xia & Howell Tong & W. K. Li & Li-Xing Zhu, 2002. "An adaptive estimation of dimension reduction space," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(3), pages 363-410.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Keming Yu & Zudi Lu, 2004. "Local Linear Additive Quantile Regression," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(3), pages 333-346. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:101:y:2010:i:7:p:1607-1621. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.