Likelihood ratio order of the second order statistic from independent heterogeneous exponential random variables
Let X1,...,Xn be independent exponential random variables with respective hazard rates [lambda]1,...,[lambda]n, and let Y1,...,Yn be independent exponential random variables with common hazard rate [lambda]. This paper proves that X2:n, the second order statistic of X1,...,Xn, is larger than Y2:n, the second order statistic of Y1,...,Yn, in terms of the likelihood ratio order if and only if with . Also, it is shown that X2:n is smaller than Y2:n in terms of the likelihood ratio order if and only if These results form nice extensions of those on the hazard rate order in Pa[caron]lta[caron]nea [E. Pa[caron]lta[caron]nea, On the comparison in hazard rate ordering of fail-safe systems, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference 138 (2008) 1993-1997].
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Working Papers 95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Belzunce, Félix & Ruiz, José M. & Ruiz, M. Carmen, 2002. "On preservation of some shifted and proportional orders by systems," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 141-154, November.
- Chang, Kuo-Hwa, 2001. "Stochastic orders of the sums of two exponential random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 389-396, February.
- Kochar, Subhash & Rojo, Javier, 1996. "Some New Results on Stochastic Comparisons of Spacings from Heterogeneous Exponential Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 272-281, November.
- Proschan, F. & Sethuraman, J., 1976. "Stochastic comparisons of order statistics from heterogeneous populations, with applications in reliability," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 608-616, December.
- Kochar, Subhash C & Korwar, Ramesh, 1996. "Stochastic Orders for Spacings of Heterogeneous Exponential Random Variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 69-83, April.
- Boland, Philip J. & El-Neweihi, Emad & Proschan, Frank, 1994. "Schur properties of convolutions of exponential and geometric random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 157-167, January.
- Lillo, Rosa E. & Nanda, Asok K. & Shaked, Moshe, 2001. "Preservation of some likelihood ratio stochastic orders by order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 111-119, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:5:p:952-962. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.