Nonconcave penalized inverse regression in single-index models with high dimensional predictors
In this paper we aim to estimate the direction in general single-index models and to select important variables simultaneously when a diverging number of predictors are involved in regressions. Towards this end, we propose the nonconcave penalized inverse regression method. Specifically, the resulting estimation with the SCAD penalty enjoys an oracle property in semi-parametric models even when the dimension, pn, of predictors goes to infinity. Under regularity conditions we also achieve the asymptotic normality when the dimension of predictor vector goes to infinity at the rate of pn=o(n1/3) where n is sample size, which enables us to construct confidence interval/region for the estimated index. The asymptotic results are augmented by simulations, and illustrated by analysis of an air pollution dataset.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cook, R. Dennis & Ni, Liqiang, 2005. "Sufficient Dimension Reduction via Inverse Regression: A Minimum Discrepancy Approach," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 410-428, June.
- Liqiang Ni & R. Dennis Cook & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2005. "A note on shrinkage sliced inverse regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 242-247, March.
- Li, Bing & Wang, Shaoli, 2007. "On Directional Regression for Dimension Reduction," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 997-1008, September.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Lexin Li, 2007. "Sparse sufficient dimension reduction," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 603-613.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:5:p:862-875. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.