Vertical trade and free trade agreements
We investigate the effects of free trade agreements (FTAs) on tariffs and welfare in vertical trade. We consider a three-country model, where an FTA is formed between a country exporting a final good and a country exporting an intermediate good. The FTA unambiguously leads to a reduction in the member country's tariff, but may cause the non-member country's tariff level to increase. In the case, where FTA raises the non-member country's tariff level, the FTA increases that country's welfare. In contrast, the FTA may render its member countries better off. This result implies that the formation of an FTA may not always be Pareto-improving.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622903|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999.
"Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996. "Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product," NBER Working Papers 5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M, 1997. "Strategic Trade Policy in a Vertically Related Industry," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 429-33, August.
- Kamal Saggi, 2006. "Preferential Trade Agreements And Multilateral Tariff Cooperation ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(1), pages 29-57, 02.
- Bond, Eric W. & Riezman, Raymond G. & Syropoulos, Constantinos, 2004.
"A strategic and welfare theoretic analysis of free trade areas,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, October.
- Eric W. Bond & Raymond G. Riezman & Constantinos Syropoulos, 2013. "A strategic and welfare theoretic analysis of free trade areas," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 8, pages 101-127 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Freund, Caroline, 2000. "Multilateralism and the endogenous formation of preferential trade agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 359-376, December.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Raymond Riezman, 1999.
"Understanding the Welfare Implications of Preferential Trade Agreements,"
CSGR Working papers series
45/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Raymond Riezman, 2013. "Understanding the Welfare Implications of Preferential Trade Agreements," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: International Trade Agreements and Political Economy, chapter 7, pages 85-99 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Kose, M Ayhan & Riezman, Raymond, 2000. "Understanding the Welfare Implications of Preferential Trade Agreements," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 619-33, November.
- Akihiko Yanase & Yasushi Kawabata, 2008. "Strategic Import Policies in a Three Country Model with Vertically Related Industries," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(8), pages 1-7.
- Winston W. Chang & Hajime Sugeta, 2004. "Conjectural Variations, Market Power, and Optimal Trade Policy in a Vertically Related Industry," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 12-26, 02.
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 2000. "Free-Trade Areas and Welfare: An Equilibrium Analysis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 336-47, May.
- Hong Hwang & Yan-Shu Lin & Ya-Po Yang, 2007. "Optimal Trade Policies and Production Technology in Vertically Related Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 823-835, 09.
- Ornelas, Emanuel, 2005. "Trade creating free trade areas and the undermining of multilateralism," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1717-1735, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:8:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jjieco:v:24:y:2010:i:4:p:569-585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.