Fear of loss, inframodularity, and transfers
There exist several characterizations of concavity for univariate functions. One of them states that a function is concave if and only if it has nonincreasing differences. This definition provides a natural generalization of concavity for multivariate functions called inframodularity. Inframodular transfers are defined and it is shown that a finite lottery is preferred to another by all expected utility maximizers with an inframodular utility if and only if the first lottery can be obtained from the second via a sequence of inframodular transfers. This result is a natural multivariate generalization of Rothschild and Stiglitzʼs construction based on mean preserving spreads.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Massimo Marinacci & Luigi Montrucchio, 2003. "Ultramodular functions," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 13-2003, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Arlotto, Alessandro & Scarsini, Marco, 2009.
"Hessian orders and multinormal distributions,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2324-2330, November.
- Machina, Mark J & Pratt, John W, 1997. "Increasing Risk: Some Direct Constructions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 103-27, March.
- Grant, Simon & Kajii, Atsushi & Polak, Ben, 1992. "Many good risks: An interpretation of multivariate risk and risk aversion without the Independence axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 338-351, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Muller, Alfred, 1996. "Orderings of risks: A comparative study via stop-loss transforms," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 215-222, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:4:p:1490-1500. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.