Measuring the market newness of new ventures
The present lack of instruments for measuring entrepreneurial opportunity is hampering progress in entrepreneurship research and fundamental hypotheses about opportunity variance are not being tested. This paper sets out to validate a measure of market newness in new ventures based in Austrian Economics, assuming a view of opportunity as objective and discoverable. Empirically, a sample of 250 new internal ventures in gestation was examined regarding to whom these ventures presented something new in terms of geographical extension or new customer groups. The measure improves on existing instruments by providing more intrinsic range while being firmly anchored in an Austrian Economics framework.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirzner, Israel M, 1999. " Creativity and/or Alertness: A Reconsideration of the Schumpeterian Entrepreneur," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1-2), pages 5-17.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Amason, Allen C. & Shrader, Rodney C. & Tompson, George H., 2006. "Newness and novelty: Relating top management team composition to new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 125-148, January.
- Mikael Samuelsson & Per Davidsson, 2009. "Does venture opportunity variation matter? Investigating systematic process differences between innovative and imitative new ventures," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 229-255, August.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbvent:v:27:y:2012:i:2:p:185-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.