On the integrability of money-demand functions by the Sidrauski and the shopping-time models
This paper investigates which properties money-demand functions must satisfy so that they are consistent with Lucas's [Lucas Jr., R.E., 2000. Inflation and welfare. Econometrica 68, 247-274] versions of the Sidrauski and the shopping-time models. We conclude that shopping-time-integrable money-demand functions are necessarily also Sidrauski-integrable, but that the converse is not necessarily true, unless a boundedness assumption on the nominal interest rate is made. Both the log-log with an interest-rate elasticity greater than or equal to one and the semi-log money demands may serve as counterexamples. All the models and results are also extended to the case in which there are several assets in the economy performing monetary functions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2000. "Inflation and Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 247-274, March.
- Cysne, Rubens P, 2003.
" Divisia Index, Inflation, and Welfare,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 221-38, April.
- Rubens Penha Cysne, 2001. "Divisia Index, Inflation and Welfare," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 020, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Carbó Valverde Santiago & Massoud Nadia & Rodríguez-Fernández Francisco & Saunders Anthony & Scholnick Barry, 2007.
"The Economics of Credit Cards, Debit Cards and ATMs: A Survey and Some New Evidence,"
201074, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Scholnick, Barry & Massoud, Nadia & Saunders, Anthony & Carbo-Valverde, Santiago & Rodríguez-Fernández, Francisco, 2008. "The economics of credit cards, debit cards and ATMs: A survey and some new evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1468-1483, August.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2007.
"An Ordering of Measures of the Welfare Cost of Inflation in Economies with Interest-Bearing Deposits,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
659, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2012. "An Ordering Of Measures Of The Welfare Cost Of Inflation In Economies With Interest-Bearing Deposits," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 732-751, November.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2002. "A note on the integrability of partial-equilibrium measures of the welfare costs of inflation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2357-2363.
- Brock, William A, 1974. "Money and Growth: The Case of Long Run Perfect Foresight," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(3), pages 750-77, October.
- Holman, Jill A, 1998. "GMM Estimation of a Money-in-the-Utility-Function Model: The Implications of Functional Forms," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 679-98, November.
- Siegel, Jeremy J, 1983. "Technological Change and the Superneutrality of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(3), pages 363-67, August.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2006. "A note on the non-convexity problem in some shopping-time and human-capital models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2737-2745, October.
- Hiraguchi, Ryoji, 2009. "Non-concavity problems in the dynamic macroeconomic models: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 568-572, March.
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1997.
"A framework for the analysis of moderate inflations,"
97-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1997. "A framework for the analysis of moderate inflations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 45-65, June.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2008. "A note on "Inflation and Welfare"," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1984-1987, September.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Capital Accumulation on the Transition Path in a Monetary Optimizing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1433-39, November.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:33:y:2009:i:9:p:1555-1562. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.