A numerical method for the expected penalty-reward function in a Markov-modulated jump-diffusion process
A generalization of the Cramér-Lundberg risk model perturbed by a diffusion is proposed. Aggregate claims of an insurer follow a compound Poisson process and premiums are collected at a constant rate with additional random fluctuation. The insurer is allowed to invest the surplus into a risky asset with volatility dependent on the level of the investment, which permits the incorporation of rational investment strategies as proposed by Berk and Green (2004). The return on investment is modulated by a Markov process which generalizes previously studied settings for the evolution of the interest rate in time. The Gerber-Shiu expected penalty-reward function is studied in this context, including ruin probabilities (a first-passage problem) as a special case. The second order integro-differential system of equations that characterizes the function of interest is obtained. As a closed-form solution does not exist, a numerical procedure based on the Chebyshev polynomial approximation through a collocation method is proposed. Finally, some examples illustrating the procedure are presented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dufresne, Francois & Gerber, Hans U., 1991. "Risk theory for the compound Poisson process that is perturbed by diffusion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-59, March.
- Wang, Guojing & Wu, Rong, 2008. "The expected discounted penalty function for the perturbed compound Poisson risk process with constant interest," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 59-64, February.
- Paulsen, Jostein, 1993. "Risk theory in a stochastic economic environment," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 327-361, June.
- Usabel, Miguel, 1999. "Calculating multivariate ruin probabilities via Gaver-Stehfest inversion technique," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 133-142, November.
- Sarkar, Joykrishna & Sen, Arusharka, 2005. "Weak convergence approach to compound Poisson risk processes perturbed by diffusion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 421-432, June.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2002.
"Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp100, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2004. "Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1269-1295, December.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2002. "Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets," NBER Working Papers 9275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paulsen, Jostein & Gjessing, Hakon K., 1997. "Optimal choice of dividend barriers for a risk process with stochastic return on investments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 215-223, October.
- Wang, Guojing, 2001. "A decomposition of the ruin probability for the risk process perturbed by diffusion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 49-59, February.
- Gerber, Hans U. & Shiu, Elias S. W., 1997. "The joint distribution of the time of ruin, the surplus immediately before ruin, and the deficit at ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 129-137, November.
- Ren, Jiandong, 2005. "The expected value of the time of ruin and the moments of the discounted deficit at ruin in the perturbed classical risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 505-521, December.
- Morales, Manuel, 2007. "On the expected discounted penalty function for a perturbed risk process driven by a subordinator," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 293-301, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:49:y:2011:i:1:p:126-131. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.