Using hybrid models to support the development of organizational evaluation capacity: A case narrative
The ongoing need for public sector organizations to enhance their internal evaluation capacity is increasingly resulting in the use of hybrid evaluation project models, where internal evaluators work with external contracted evaluators to complete evaluative work. This paper first seeks to identify what is currently known about internal evaluation through a synthesis of the literature in this area. It then presents a case narrative illustrating how internal and external evaluation approaches may be used together to strengthen an evaluation project and to develop the evaluation capacity of the organization. Lessons learned include the need to integrate internal and external resources throughout the evaluation and to clarify expectations at the outset of the project.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathison, Sandra, 1991. "Role conflicts for internal evaluators," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 173-179, January.
- Preskill, Hallie, 1994. "Evaluation's role in enhancing organizational learning: A model for practice," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 291-297.
- Winberg, Alan, 1991. "Maximizing the contribution of internal evaluation units," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 167-172, January.
- Lyon, Eleanor, 1989. "In-house research: A consideration of roles and advantages," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 241-248, January.
- Torres, Rosalie T., 1991. "Improving the quality of internal evaluation: The evaluator as consultant-mediator," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 189-198, January.
- Mathison, Sandra, 1991. "What do we know about internal evaluation?," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 159-165, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:epplan:v:34:y:2011:i:3:p:228-235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.