Cooperative advertising in a distribution channel with fairness concerns
Cooperative (co-op) advertising has been widely used in practice and employed as a strategy to improve the performance of a distribution channel. It is known from the existing models that co-op advertising could not achieve the channel coordination (i.e., maximize the total channel profit). In this paper, we consider a distribution channel consisting of a single manufacturer and a single retailer, and investigate the effect of the retailer’s fairness concerns. Applying the equilibrium analysis, we obtain the following results: (1) Channel coordination can be achieved if the retailer has fairness concerns and model parameters satisfy certain conditions. (2) Although both channel members become better off with co-op advertising if neither channel member has fairness concerns, we find situations where co-op advertising brings detrimental effects to the retailer if the retailer has fairness concerns. (3) The retailer’s fairness concerns may increase or decrease the equilibrium participation rate, the equilibrium advertising effort, and the equilibrium profit of the manufacturer and the whole channel. (4) We identify the conditions under which the effectiveness of co-op advertising can be improved or reduced by the retailer’s fairness concerns. As long as co-op advertising can bring extra profit to the manufacturer, the retailer’s fairness concerns could improve the effectiveness of the co-op advertising. (5) There exists a Pareto improvement for the profits of both the manufacturer and the retailer when a retailer without fairness concerns becomes fair-minded.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, .
"A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation,"
IEW - Working Papers
004, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., . "A theory of fairness, competition, and cooperation," Chapters in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, 1999. "A Theory Of Fairness, Competition, And Cooperation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 817-868, August.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1998. "A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1812, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1999. "A theory of fairness, competition, and cooperation," Munich Reprints in Economics 20650, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Caliskan-Demirag, Ozgun & Chen, Youhua (Frank) & Li, Jianbin, 2010. "Channel coordination under fairness concerns and nonlinear demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(3), pages 1321-1326, December.
- Tony Haitao Cui & Jagmohan S. Raju & Z. John Zhang, 2007. "Fairness and Channel Coordination," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(8), pages 1303-1314, August.
- Sang Yong Kim & Richard Staelin, 1999. "Manufacturer Allowances and Retailer Pass-Through Rates in a Competitive Environment," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(1), pages 59-76.
- Wujin Chu & Preyas S. Desai, 1995. "Channel Coordination Mechanisms for Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(4), pages 343-359.
- Huang, Zhimin & Li, Susan X., 2001. "Co-op advertising models in manufacturer-retailer supply chains: A game theory approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 527-544, December.
- Xie, Jinxing & Wei, Jerry C., 2009. "Coordinating advertising and pricing in a manufacturer-retailer channel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 785-791, September.
- Bolton, Lisa E & Warlop, Luk & Alba, Joseph W, 2003. " Consumer Perceptions of Price (Un)Fairness," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 474-91, March.
- Christoph H. Loch & Yaozhong Wu, 2008. "Social Preferences and Supply Chain Performance: An Experimental Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(11), pages 1835-1849, November.
- Aust, Gerhard & Buscher, Udo, 2012. "Vertical cooperative advertising and pricing decisions in a manufacturer–retailer supply chain: A game-theoretic approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 473-482.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-41, September.
- Pradeep K. Chintagunta & Dipak Jain, 1992. "A Dynamic Model of Channel Member Strategies for Marketing Expenditures," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(2), pages 168-188.
- Matthew Nagler, 2006. "An exploratory analysis of the determinants of cooperative advertising participation rates," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 91-102, April.
- Teck-Hua Ho & Xuanming Su, 2009. "Peer-Induced Fairness in Games," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2022-49, December.
- Olmstead, Alan L & Rhode, Paul, 1985. "Rationing without Government: The West Coast Gas Famine of 1920," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1044-55, December.
- Ahmadi-Javid, Amir & Hoseinpour, Pooya, 2012. "On a cooperative advertising model for a supply chain with one manufacturer and one retailer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 458-466.
- SeyedEsfahani, Mir Mehdi & Biazaran, Maryam & Gharakhani, Mohsen, 2011. "A game theoretic approach to coordinate pricing and vertical co-op advertising in manufacturer-retailer supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 263-273, June.
- Preyas S. Desai, 1997. "Advertising Fee in Business-Format Franchising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(10), pages 1401-1419, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:227:y:2013:i:2:p:401-407. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.