p-Hub approach for the optimal park-and-ride facility location problem
Park and Ride facilities (P&R) are car parks at which users can transfer to public transportation to reach their final destination. We propose a mixed linear programming formulation to determine the location of a fixed number of P&R facilities so that their usage is maximized. The facilities are modeled as hubs. Commuters can use one of the P&R facilities or choose to travel by car to their destinations, and their behavior follows a logit model. We apply a p-hub approach considering that users incur in a known generalized cost of using each P&R facility as input for the logit model. For small instances of the problem, we propose a novel linearization of the logit model, which allows transforming the binary nonlinear programming problem into a mixed linear programming formulation. A modification of the Heuristic Concentration Integer (HCI) procedure is applied to solve larger instances of the problem. Numerical experiments are performed, including a case in Queens, NY. Further research is proposed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Contreras, Ivan & Fernández, Elena & Marín, Alfredo, 2010. "The Tree of Hubs Location Problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 390-400, April.
- Correia, Isabel & Nickel, Stefan & Saldanha-da-Gama, Francisco, 2010. "The capacitated single-allocation hub location problem revisited: A note on a classical formulation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(1), pages 92-96, November.
- Skorin-Kapov, Darko & Skorin-Kapov, Jadranka & O'Kelly, Morton, 1996. "Tight linear programming relaxations of uncapacitated p-hub median problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 582-593, November.
- Marianov, Vladimir & Serra, Daniel & ReVelle, Charles, 1999.
"Location of hubs in a competitive environment,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 363-371, April.
- Ernst, Andreas T. & Krishnamoorthy, Mohan, 1998. "Exact and heuristic algorithms for the uncapacitated multiple allocation p-hub median problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 100-112, January.
- Wang, Judith Y. T. & Yang, Hai & Lindsey, Robin, 2004. "Locating and pricing park-and-ride facilities in a linear monocentric city with deterministic mode choice," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 709-731, September.
- Tammy Drezner & Zvi Drezner, 2001. "A Note on Applying the Gravity Rule to the Airline Hub Problem," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 67-72.
- García, Sergio & Landete, Mercedes & Marín, Alfredo, 2012. "New formulation and a branch-and-cut algorithm for the multiple allocation p-hub median problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(1), pages 48-57.
- Alumur, Sibel & Kara, Bahar Y., 2008. "Network hub location problems: The state of the art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 1-21, October.
- Marianov, Vladimir & Ríos, Miguel & Icaza, Manuel José, 2008. "Facility location for market capture when users rank facilities by shorter travel and waiting times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 32-44, November.
- Holguı´n-Veras, José & Yushimito, Wilfredo F. & Aros-Vera, Felipe & Reilly, John (Jack), 2012. "User rationality and optimal park-and-ride location under potential demand maximization," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 949-970.
- Sue Abdinnour-Helm & M.A. Venkataramanan, 1998. "Solution approaches to hub location problems," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 78(0), pages 31-50, January.
- Yaman, Hande, 2011. "Allocation strategies in hub networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 442-451, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:226:y:2013:i:2:p:277-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.