Analysis of a two-echelon inventory system with two supply modes
In this paper, we consider a serial two-echelon periodic review inventory system with two supply modes at the most upstream stock point. As control policy for this system, we propose a natural extension of the dual-index policy, which has three base-stock levels. We consider the minimization of long run average inventory holding, backlogging, and both per unit and fixed emergency ordering costs. We provide nested newsboy characterizations for two of the three base-stock levels involved and show a separability result for the difference with the remaining base-stock level. We extend results for the single-echelon system to efficiently approximate the distributions of random variables involved in the newsboy equations and find an asymptotically correct approximation for both the per unit and fixed emergency ordering costs. Based on these results, we provide an algorithm for setting base-stock levels in a computationally efficient manner. In a numerical study, we investigate the value of dual-sourcing in supply chains and illustrate that dual-sourcing can lead to significant cost savings in cases with high demand uncertainty, high backlogging cost or long lead times.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xu, Ningxiong, 2009. "Optimal policy for a two-facility inventory problem with storage constraints and two freight modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 78-84, April.
- Jing-Sheng Song & Paul Zipkin, 2009. "Inventories with Multiple Supply Sources and Networks of Queues with Overflow Bypasses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(3), pages 362-372, March.
- Yoichiro Fukuda, 1964. "Optimal Policies for the Inventory Problem with Negotiable Leadtime," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 690-708, July.
- Minner, Stefan, 2003. "Multiple-supplier inventory models in supply chain management: A review," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 265-279, January.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 1960.
"Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem,"
INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 475-490, July.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 2004. "Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1782-1790, December.
- Janssen, Fred & de Kok, Ton, 1999. "A two-supplier inventory model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 395-403, March.
- Chiang, Chi, 2007. "Optimal control policy for a standing order inventory system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 695-703, October.
- Fangruo Chen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 1994. "Lower Bounds for Multi-Echelon Stochastic Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(11), pages 1426-1443, November.
- Gad Allon & Jan A. Van Mieghem, 2010. "Global Dual Sourcing: Tailored Base-Surge Allocation to Near- and Offshore Production," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(1), pages 110-124, January.
- Kevin H. Shang & Jing-Sheng Song, 2003. "Newsvendor Bounds and Heuristic for Optimal Policies in Serial Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(5), pages 618-638, May.
- Klosterhalfen, Steffen & Kiesmüller, Gudrun & Minner, Stefan, 2011. "A comparison of the constant-order and dual-index policy for dual sourcing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 302-311, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:2:p:263-272. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.