Optimal policies for inventory systems with two types of product sharing common hardware platforms: Single period and finite horizon
In this paper, we consider an inventory system whose products share a common hardware platform but are differentiated by two types of software. Choice of different software results in different installation cost and different selling price of the whole product. Product with different software also faces different customer demand. We investigate the optimal proportion of an order to be installed with software 1 or 2, that maximizes expected profit in the single and multiple period scenarios, respectively. The optimal policy is analytically obtained and proved to be an order-up-to policy in each scenario. Our investigation reveals that whether to replenish, and how much to replenish each product depend not only on its own initial inventory level, and system parameters, but also the initial inventory level of the other product. We perform numerical experiments using the optimal policies we have derived in the paper.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yunzeng Wang & Yigal Gerchak, 1996. "Periodic Review Production Models with Variable Capacity, Random Yield, and Uncertain Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(1), pages 130-137, January.
- Kwan Eng Wee & Maqbool Dada, 2005. "Optimal Policies for Transshipping Inventory in a Retail Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(10), pages 1519-1533, October.
- Sharma, Sanjay, 2007. "A fresh approach to performance evaluation in a multi-item production scenario," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 627-630, April.
- Sharma, Sanjay, 2008. "On the flexibility of demand and production rate," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 557-561, October.
- Özalp Özer, 2003. "Replenishment Strategies for Distribution Systems Under Advance Demand Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 255-272, March.
- Tibben-Lembke, Ronald S. & Bassok, Yehuda, 2005. "An inventory model for delayed customization: A hybrid approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 748-764, September.
- Nils Rudi & Sandeep Kapur & David F. Pyke, 2001. "A Two-Location Inventory Model with Transshipment and Local Decision Making," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1668-1680, December.
- Paterson, Colin & Kiesmüller, Gudrun & Teunter, Ruud & Glazebrook, Kevin, 2011. "Inventory models with lateral transshipments: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 125-136, April.
- Sanjay Sharma, 2009. "Extending Sanjay Sharma's theory of exchange," International Journal of Applied Management Science, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 325-339.
- H. Jönsson & E. A. Silver, 1987. "Analysis of a Two-Echelon Inventory Control System with Complete Redistribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(2), pages 215-227, February.
- George Tagaras & Morris A. Cohen, 1992. "Pooling in Two-Location Inventory Systems with Non-Negligible Replenishment Lead Times," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(8), pages 1067-1083, August.
- Edward Ignall & Arthur F. Veinott, Jr., 1969. "Optimality of Myopic Inventory Policies for Several Substitute Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 284-304, January.
- Chandrasekhar Das, 1975. "Supply and Redistribution Rules for Two-Location Inventory Systems: One-Period Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(7), pages 765-776, March.
- repec:spr:compst:v:63:y:2006:i:2:p:301-327 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sharma, Sanjay, 2008. "Theory of exchange," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 128-136, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:2:p:283-292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.