Multi-tier binary solution method for multi-product newsvendor problem with multiple constraints
This paper considers a multi-product newsvendor problem with multiple constraints. Multiple constraints in the problem make it more challenging to solve. Previous research has attempted to solve the problem by considering two-constraint case or/and using approximation techniques or active sets methods. The solution methods in literature for solving multi-constraint problem are limited or cumbersome. In this paper, by analyzing structural properties of the multi-constraint multi-product newsvendor problem, we develop a multi-tier binary solution method for yielding the optimal solution to the problem. The proposed method is applicable to the problem with any continuous demand distribution and more than two constraints, and its computational complexity is polynomial in the number of products. Numerical results are presented for showing the effectiveness of our method.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Hon-Shiang & Hing-Ling Lau, Amy, 1996. "The newsstand problem: A capacitated multiple-product single-period inventory problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 29-42, October.
- Shah, Janat & Avittathur, Balram, 2007. "The retailer multi-item inventory problem with demand cannibalization and substitution," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 104-114, March.
- C. E. Lemke, 1965. "Bimatrix Equilibrium Points and Mathematical Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(7), pages 681-689, May.
- Vairaktarakis, George L., 2000. "Robust multi-item newsboy models with a budget constraint," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(3), pages 213-226, July.
- Chung, Chia-Shin & Flynn, James & Kirca, Omer, 2008. "A multi-item newsvendor problem with preseason production and capacitated reactive production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(3), pages 775-792, August.
- Choi, Sungyong & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2011. "A multi-product risk-averse newsvendor with exponential utility function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(1), pages 78-84, October.
- Abdel-Malek, Layek L. & Areeratchakul, Nathapol, 2007. "A quadratic programming approach to the multi-product newsvendor problem with side constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1607-1619, February.
- Chen, Liang-Hsuan & Chen, Ying-Che, 2010. "A multiple-item budget-constraint newsboy problem with a reservation policy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 431-439, December.
- Niederhoff, Julie A., 2007. "Using separable programming to solve the multi-product multiple ex-ante constraint newsvendor problem and extensions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 941-955, January.
- Zhang, Bin & Hua, Zhongsheng, 2008. "A unified method for a class of convex separable nonlinear knapsack problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 1-6, November.
- Zhang, Guoqing, 2010. "The multi-product newsboy problem with supplier quantity discounts and a budget constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(2), pages 350-360, October.
- Abdel-Malek, Layek & Montanari, Roberto & Morales, Libia Cristina, 2004. "Exact, approximate, and generic iterative models for the multi-product Newsboy problem with budget constraint," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 189-198, September.
- Abdel-Malek, Layek L. & Montanari, Roberto, 2005. "An analysis of the multi-product newsboy problem with a budget constraint," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 296-307, September.
- Zhang, Bin, 2011. "Optimal policy for a mixed production system with multiple OEM and OBM products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 27-32, March.
- Zhang, Bin & Du, Shaofu, 2010. "Multi-product newsboy problem with limited capacity and outsourcing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 107-113, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:218:y:2012:i:2:p:426-434. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.