A probabilistic model applied to emergency service vehicle location
This paper is concerned with the formulation and the solution of a probabilistic model for determining the optimal location of facilities in congested emergency systems. The inherent uncertainty which characterizes the decision process is handled by a new stochastic programming paradigm which embeds the probabilistic constraints within the traditional two-stage framework. The resulting model drops simplifying assumptions on servers independence allowing at the same time to handle the spatial dependence of demand calls. An exact solution method and different tailored heuristics are presented to efficiently solve the problem. Computational experience is reported with application to various networks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brotcorne, Luce & Laporte, Gilbert & Semet, Frederic, 2003. "Ambulance location and relocation models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 451-463, June.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & G. H. Symonds, 1958. "Cost Horizons and Certainty Equivalents: An Approach to Stochastic Programming of Heating Oil," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 235-263, April.
- C ReVelle & K Hogan, 1988. "A reliability-constrained siting model with local estimates of busy fractions," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(2), pages 143-152, March.
- Kathleen Hogan & Charles ReVelle, 1986. "Concepts and Applications of Backup Coverage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1434-1444, November.
- Owen, Susan Hesse & Daskin, Mark S., 1998. "Strategic facility location: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(3), pages 423-447, December.
- Marianov, Vladimir & ReVelle, Charles, 1996. "The Queueing Maximal availability location problem: A model for the siting of emergency vehicles," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 110-120, August.
- Klose, Andreas, 2000. "A Lagrangean relax-and-cut approach for the two-stage capacitated facility location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 408-421, October.
- Beraldi, P. & Bruni, M. E. & Conforti, D., 2004. "Designing robust emergency medical service via stochastic programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 183-193, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:196:y:2009:i:1:p:323-331. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.