A hybrid scatter search for the discrete time/resource trade-off problem in project scheduling
We develop a heuristic procedure for solving the discrete time/resource trade-off problem in the field of project scheduling. In this problem, a project contains activities interrelated by finish-start-type precedence constraints with a time lag of zero, which require one or more constrained renewable resources. Each activity has a specified work content and can be performed in different modes, i.e. with different durations and resource requirements, as long as the required work content is met. The objective is to schedule each activity in one of its modes in order to minimize the project makespan. We use a scatter search algorithm to tackle this problem, using path relinking methodology as a solution combination method. Computational results on randomly generated problem sets are compared with the best available results indicating the efficiency of the proposed algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kolisch, Rainer, 1996. "Serial and parallel resource-constrained project scheduling methods revisited: Theory and computation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 320-333, April.
- Li, K. Y. & Willis, R. J., 1992. "An iterative scheduling technique for resource-constrained project scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 370-379, February.
- Kolisch, Rainer & Hartmann, Sonke, 2006. "Experimental investigation of heuristics for resource-constrained project scheduling: An update," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 23-37, October.
- Valls, Vicente & Quintanilla, Sacramento & Ballestin, Francisco, 2003. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: A critical activity reordering heuristic," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 282-301, September.
- Yamashita, Denise Sato & Armentano, Vinicius Amaral & Laguna, Manuel, 2006. "Scatter search for project scheduling with resource availability cost," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 623-637, March.
- Valls, Vicente & Ballestin, Francisco & Quintanilla, Sacramento, 2005. "Justification and RCPSP: A technique that pays," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(2), pages 375-386, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:1:p:35-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.