A hybrid scatter search / electromagnetism meta-heuristic for project scheduling
In the last few decades, several effective algorithms for solving the resource-constrained project scheduling problem have been proposed. However, the challenging nature of this problem, summarised in its strongly NP-hard status, restricts the effectiveness of exact optimisation to relatively small instances. In this paper, we present a new meta-heuristic for this problem, able to provide near-optimal heuristic solutions. The procedure combines elements from scatter search, a generic population-based evolutionary search method, and a recently introduced heuristic method for the optimisation of unconstrained continuous functions based on an analogy with electromagnetism theory, hereafter referred to as the electromagnetism meta-heuristic. We present computational experiments on standard benchmark datasets, compare the results with current state-of-the-art heuristics, and show that the procedure is capable of producing consistently good results for challenging instances of the resource-constrained project scheduling problem. We also demonstrate that the algorithm outperforms state-of-the-art existing heuristics.
|Date of creation:||24 Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +32 9 210 98 99
Fax: +32 9 210 97 00
Web page: http://www.vlerick.com
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Demeulemeester & Willy Herroelen, 1992. "A Branch-and-Bound Procedure for the Multiple Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(12), pages 1803-1818, December.
- Taillard, Eric D. & Gambardella, Luca M. & Gendreau, Michel & Potvin, Jean-Yves, 2001. "Adaptive memory programming: A unified view of metaheuristics," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 1-16, November.
- Li, K. Y. & Willis, R. J., 1992. "An iterative scheduling technique for resource-constrained project scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 370-379, February.
- Kolisch, Rainer, 1996. "Serial and parallel resource-constrained project scheduling methods revisited: Theory and computation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 320-333, April.
- Aristide Mingozzi & Vittorio Maniezzo & Salvatore Ricciardelli & Lucio Bianco, 1998. "An Exact Algorithm for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem Based on a New Mathematical Formulation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(5), pages 714-729, May.
- Hartmann, Sönke & Kolisch, R., 2000. "Experimental evaluation of state-of-the-art heuristics for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 11180, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Valls, Vicente & Quintanilla, Sacramento & Ballestin, Francisco, 2003. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: A critical activity reordering heuristic," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 282-301, September.
- Hartmann, Sonke & Kolisch, Rainer, 2000. "Experimental evaluation of state-of-the-art heuristics for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 394-407, December.
- Bouleimen, K. & Lecocq, H., 2003. "A new efficient simulated annealing algorithm for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem and its multiple mode version," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 268-281, September.
- Fleszar, Krzysztof & Hindi, Khalil S., 2004. "Solving the resource-constrained project scheduling problem by a variable neighbourhood search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(2), pages 402-413, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vlg:vlgwps:2003-25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabelle Vandenbroere)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.