A chance constraints goal programming model for the advertising planning problem
This paper presents a model which has been designed to decide the number of advertisement in different advertising media and the optimal allocation of the budget assigned to the different media. The main objective of this problem is to maximize the reach to the desired section of people for different media within their maximum allowable budget without violating the max and min number of advertisement goals. The media have been considered as different newspapers and different channels in Televisions. Here in this article the model has been formulated in such a way that the advertisement should reach to those who are suitable for the product instead of going to those section who are not considered suitable for the product as well. A chance constrained goal programming model has been designed after considering the parameter corresponding to reach for different media as random variables. The random variables in this case has been considered as values which have known mean and standard deviations. A case for an upcoming institution who are interested to advertise for its two years Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) programme to the different newspapers and television channels has been designed to illustrate the solution methodology.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1959. "Chance-Constrained Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 73-79, October.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & D. B. Learner & E. F. Snow, 1968. "Note on an Application of a Goal Programming Model for Media Planning," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(8), pages 431-436, April.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & R. O. Ferguson, 1955. "Optimal Estimation of Executive Compensation by Linear Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 138-151, January.
- Fruchter, Gila E. & Kalish, Shlomo, 1998. "Dynamic promotional budgeting and media allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 15-27, November.
- Aouni, Belaid & Ben Abdelaziz, Foued & Martel, Jean-Marc, 2005. "Decision-maker's preferences modeling in the stochastic goal programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 610-618, May.
- A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper & J. K. Devoe & D. B. Learner & W. Reinecke, 1968. "A Goal Programming Model for Media Planning," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(8), pages 423-430, April.
- Sang M. Lee & Edward R. Clayton, 1972. "A Goal Programming Model for Academic Resource Allocation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(8), pages 395-408, April.
- Kwak, N. K. & Lee, Chang Won & Kim, Ji Hee, 2005. "An MCDM model for media selection in the dual consumer/industrial market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 255-265, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:382-395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.