A heuristic procedure for solving the dynamic probabilistic project expediting problem
Because of activity duration uncertainties, large-scale projects can often be modeled most realistically as probabilistic activity networks. The complex interactions among activities with uncertain durations virtually assures a low probability that these projects will be completed before predetermined due dates. As a result, it is often necessary to expedite individual activities in these projects to improve due date performance. This research introduces a dynamically applied matrix simulation approach for selecting expediting options in order to control the probability of successful project completion before predefined due dates. Experiments are conducted to demonstrate the ability of this new approach to generate quality alternatives and efficiently evaluate large-scale projects.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William R. King & Talmadge A. Wilson, 1967. "Subjective Time Estimates in Critical Path Planning--A Preliminary Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(5), pages 307-320, January.
- Foldes, Stephan & Soumis, Francois, 1993. "PERT and crashing revisited: Mathematical generalizations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 286-294, January.
- L. R. Lamberson & R. R. Hocking, 1970. "Optimum Time Compression in Project Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(10), pages B597-B606, June.
- John M. Burt, Jr. & Mark B. Garman, 1971. "Conditional Monte Carlo: A Simulation Technique for Stochastic Network Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 207-217, November.
- Elmaghraby, Salah E. & Herroelen, Willy S., 1980. "On the measurement of complexity in activity networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 223-234, October.
- Bajis M. Dodin & Salah E. Elmaghraby, 1985. "Approximating the Criticality Indices of the Activities in PERT Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 207-223, February.
- De Reyck, Bert & Herroelen, Willy, 1996. "On the use of the complexity index as a measure of complexity in activity networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 347-366, June.
- Richard A. Kaimann, 1974. "Coefficient of Network Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(2), pages 172-177, October.
- Siemens, Nicolai & Gooding, Carl, 1975. "Reducing project duration at minimum cost: A time-cost tradeoff algorithm," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(5), pages 569-581, October.
- Giovanni Baiocchi, . "Using Perl for Statistics: Data Processing and Statistical Computing," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(i01).
- Herroelen, Willy & Leus, Roel, 2005. "Project scheduling under uncertainty: Survey and research potentials," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(2), pages 289-306, September.
- Demeulemeester, Erik L. & Herroelen, Willy S. & Elmaghraby, Salah E., 1996. "Optimal procedures for the discrete time/cost trade-off problem in project networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 50-68, January.
- E. B. Berman, 1964. "Resource Allocation in a PERT Network Under Continuous Activity Time-Cost Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 734-745, July.
- Don R. Robinson, 1975. "A Dynamic Programming Solution to Cost-Time Tradeoff for CPM," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(2), pages 158-166, October.
- R. A. Bowman, 1995. "Efficient Estimation of Arc Criticalities in Stochastic Activity Networks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 58-67, January.
- Steve Phillips, Jr. & Mohamed I. Dessouky, 1977. "Solving the Project Time/Cost Tradeoff Problem Using the Minimal Cut Concept," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 393-400, December.
- Nicolai Siemens, 1971. "A Simple CPM Time-Cost Tradeoff Algorithm," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(6), pages B354-B363, February.
- De, Prabuddha & James Dunne, E. & Ghosh, Jay B. & Wells, Charles E., 1995. "The discrete time-cost tradeoff problem revisited," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 225-238, March.
- Kress, Moshe, 1984. "The chance constrained critical path with location-scale distributions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 359-363, December.
- Ragsdale, C, 1989. "The current state of network simulation in project management theory and practice," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 21-25.
- D. R. Fulkerson, 1961. "A Network Flow Computation for Project Cost Curves," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 167-178, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:1:p:125-137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.