Model and algorithm for inventory/routing decision in a three-echelon logistics system
This paper addresses an integrated inventory and routing problem in a three-echelon logistics system, which consists of a supplier, a central warehouse and a group of retailers. The inventory decision of each member and the routing decision among members of the system are made simultaneously, with the objective of minimizing the overall average cost of the system. A strategy named fixed partition and power-of-two (FP-POT) is proposed for the considered problem and a variable large neighborhood search (VLNS) algorithm, which is a special case of variable neighborhood search (VNS) algorithm, is developed. The efficiency of the strategy as well as the algorithm is illustrated by comparing computational results with a lower bound. The advantage of the proposed VLNS algorithm is further shown by getting better results for the problems in a two-echelon logistics system, which have been solved by a Tabu Search algorithm recently.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin Roundy, 1985. "98%-Effective Integer-Ratio Lot-Sizing for One-Warehouse Multi-Retailer Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(11), pages 1416-1430, November.
- Sila Çetinkaya & Chung-Yee Lee, 2000. "Stock Replenishment and Shipment Scheduling for Vendor-Managed Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 217-232, February.
- Zhao, Qiu-Hong & Wang, Shou-Yang & Lai, K.K., 2007. "A partition approach to the inventory/routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 786-802, March.
- Hansen, Pierre & Mladenovic, Nenad, 2001. "Variable neighborhood search: Principles and applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 449-467, May.
- S. Viswanathan & Kamlesh Mathur, 1997. "Integrating Routing and Inventory Decisions in One-Warehouse Multiretailer Multiproduct Distribution Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(3), pages 294-312, March.
- S. Anily & A. Federgruen, 1990. "One Warehouse Multiple Retailer Systems with Vehicle Routing Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(1), pages 92-114, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:191:y:2008:i:3:p:623-635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.