Pricing exotic options using the Wang transform
The Wang transform allows for a simple, yet intuitive approach to pricing options with underlying based on geometric Brownian motion. This paper shows how the approach by Hamada and Sherris can be used to price some exotic options. Examples showing the convergence of the Wang price to the Black–Scholes price for a Margrabe option, a geometric basket option and an asset-or-nothing option are given. We also take a look at the range of prices achievable using the Wang transform for these options.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Shaun S., 2002. "A Universal Framework for Pricing Financial and Insurance Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 213-234, November.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1992. "Choquet Pricing for Financial Markets with Frictions," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Labuschagne, Coenraad C.A. & Offwood, Theresa M., 2010. "A note on the connection between the Esscher-Girsanov transform and the Wang transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 385-390, December.
- Mahmoud Hamada & Michael Sherris, 2003. "Contingent claim pricing using probability distortion operators: methods from insurance risk pricing and their relationship to financial theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 19-47.
- Pelsser, Antoon, 2008. "On the Applicability of the Wang Transform for Pricing Financial Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 171-181, May.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-186, March.