Pricing exotic options using the Wang transform
The Wang transform allows for a simple, yet intuitive approach to pricing options with underlying based on geometric Brownian motion. This paper shows how the approach by Hamada and Sherris can be used to price some exotic options. Examples showing the convergence of the Wang price to the Black–Scholes price for a Margrabe option, a geometric basket option and an asset-or-nothing option are given. We also take a look at the range of prices achievable using the Wang transform for these options.
Volume (Year): 25 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620163|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Chateauneuf & R. Kast & A. Lapied, 1996.
"Choquet Pricing For Financial Markets With Frictions,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 323-330.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Kast, R. & Lapied, A., 1992. "Choquet Pricing for Financial Markets with Frictions," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a11, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Wang, Shaun S., 2002. "A Universal Framework for Pricing Financial and Insurance Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 213-234, November.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Labuschagne, Coenraad C.A. & Offwood, Theresa M., 2010. "A note on the connection between the Esscher-Girsanov transform and the Wang transform," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 385-390, December.
- Pelsser, Antoon, 2008. "On the Applicability of the Wang Transform for Pricing Financial Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 171-181, May.
- Mahmoud Hamada & Michael Sherris, 2003. "Contingent claim pricing using probability distortion operators: methods from insurance risk pricing and their relationship to financial theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 19-47.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecofin:v:25:y:2013:i:c:p:139-150. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.