Reducing the dimensionality of linear quadratic control problems
In linear-quadratic control (LQC) problems with singular control cost matrix and/or singular transition matrix, we derive a reduction of the dimension of the Riccati matrix, simplifying iteration and solution. Employing a novel transformation, we show that, under a certain rank condition, the matrix of optimal feedback coefficients is linear in the reduced Riccati matrix. For a substantive class of problems, our technique permits scalar iteration, leading to simple analytical solution. By duality the technique can also be applied to Kalman filtering problems with a singular measurement error covariance matrix.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehlgen, Jurgen, 1999. "A Nonrecursive Solution Method for the Linear-Quadratic Optimal Control Problem with a Singular Transition Matrix," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 13(1), pages 17-23, February.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Zadrozny, Peter A., 1998. "An eigenvalue method of undetermined coefficients for solving linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1353-1373, August.
- Amman, Hans M. & Neudecker, Heinz, 1997. "Numerical solutions of the algebraic matrix Riccati equation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 363-369.
- Victor Claar, 2006.
"Is the NAIRU more useful in forecasting inflation than the natural rate of unemployment?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(18), pages 2179-2189.
- Claar, Victor V, 2002. "Is the NAIRU More Useful in Forecasting Inflation than the Natural Rate of Unemployment?," MPRA Paper 14257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Volker W. Wieland, 1996.
"Learning by doing and the value of optimal experimentation,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wieland, Volker, 2000. "Learning by doing and the value of optimal experimentation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 501-534, April.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985.
"Is Increased Price Flexibility Stabilizing?,"
NBER Working Papers
1686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Binder, Michael & Pesaran, Hashem, 2000. "Solution of finite-horizon multivariate linear rational expectations models and sparse linear systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 325-346, March.
- Klein, Paul, 2000. "Using the generalized Schur form to solve a multivariate linear rational expectations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1405-1423, September.
- Binder, M. & Pesaran, H., 1996.
"Multivariate Linear Rational Expectations Models: Characterisation of the Nature of the Solutions and Their Fully Recursive Computation,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9619, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Michael Binder & M. Hashem Pesaran, 1997. "GAUSS and Matlab codes for Multivariate Linear Rational Expectations Models: Characterization of the Nature of the Solutions and Their Fully Recursive Computation," QM&RBC Codes 73, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Ronald J. Balvers & Thomas F. Cosimano, 1994. "Inflation Variability and Gradualist Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 721-738.
- King, Robert G & Watson, Mark W, 1998. "The Solution of Singular Linear Difference Systems under Rational Expectations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1015-26, November.
- Mitchell, Douglas W., 2000. "An analytic Riccati solution for two-target discrete-time control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 615-622, April.
- Anderson, Gary & Moore, George, 1985. "A linear algebraic procedure for solving linear perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-252.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:31:y:2007:i:1:p:141-159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.