Nonmedical use of prescription medications: A longitudinal analysis with adolescents involved in child welfare
This study evaluated a sample of 1005 adolescents involved in the child welfare system, looking for risk and protective factors in their nonmedical use of prescription medications. It comprised a secondary data analysis of longitudinal records extracted from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being (NSCAW), and it employed generalized estimating equations. Its multivariate results indicate that such use of medications in the past 30days was (a) associated positively with misuse of prescribed drugs prior to NSCAW participation and with time involved in the child welfare system, as well; but (b) associated negatively with parental monitoring and feeling close to parents. Implications for services and research are discussed.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2011. "A longitudinal analysis of some risk and protective factors in marijuana use by adolescents receiving child welfare services," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1667-1672, September.
- Orton, Heather D. & Riggs, Paula D. & Libby, Anne M., 2009. "Prevalence and characteristics of depression and substance use in a U.S. child welfare sample," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 649-653, June.
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2010. "Drug use among maltreated adolescents receiving child welfare services," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1735-1739, December.
- Karen A. Snedker & Jerald R. Herting & Emily Walton, 2009. "Contextual Effects and Adolescent Substance Use: Exploring the Role of Neighborhoods," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1272-1297.
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2010. "The roles of parenting and child welfare services in alcohol use by adolescents," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 38-43, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:34:y:2012:i:4:p:859-864. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.