Risk factors for mental health diagnoses among children adopted from the public child welfare system
Children awaiting adoption through the child welfare system often have “special needs,” or characteristics that make securing an adoptive home for them challenging. A subset of these youth experiences significant psychiatric symptomatology, which may pose a problem for the stability of the adoptive placement. Clinicians and policymakers require information about precursors to mental health difficulties in order to plan effectively for the placement of these children.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keller, Thomas E. & Wetherbee, Kathleen & Le Prohn, Nicole S. & Payne, Vincent & Sim, Kelly & Lamont, Elena R., 2001. "Competencies and problem behaviors of children in family foster care: variations by kinship placement status and race," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 915-940, December.
- Wells, Kathleen & Marcenko, Maureen O., 2011. "Introduction to the Special Issue: Mothers of children in foster care," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 419-423, March.
- Sharma, Anu R. & McGue, Matthew K. & Benson, Peter L., 1996. "The emotional and behavioral adjustment of United states adopted adolescents: Part II. Age at adoption," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 101-114.
- Berry, Marianne & Barth, Richard P., 1989. "Behavior problems of children adopted when older," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 221-238.
- Tan, Tony Xing & Marfo, Kofi & Dedrick, Robert F., 2007. "Special needs adoption from China: Exploring child-level indicators, adoptive family characteristics, and correlates of behavioral adjustment," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1269-1285, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:34:y:2012:i:10:p:2072-2080. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.