SURE-tuned tapering estimation of large covariance matrices
Bandable covariance matrices are often used to model the dependence structure of variables that follow a nature order. It has been shown that the tapering covariance estimator attains the optimal minimax rates of convergence for estimating large bandable covariance matrices. The estimation risk critically depends on the choice of the tapering parameter. We develop a Stein’s Unbiased Risk Estimation (SURE) theory for estimating the Frobenius risk of the tapering estimator. SURE tuning selects the minimizer of SURE curve as the chosen tapering parameter. An extensive Monte Carlo study shows that SURE tuning is often comparable to the oracle tuning and outperforms cross-validation. We further illustrate SURE tuning using rock sonar spectrum data. The real data analysis results are consistent with simulation findings.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 58 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam J. Rothman & Elizaveta Levina & Ji Zhu, 2010. "A new approach to Cholesky-based covariance regularization in high dimensions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(3), pages 539-550.
- Rothman, Adam J. & Levina, Elizaveta & Zhu, Ji, 2009. "Generalized Thresholding of Large Covariance Matrices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 177-186.
- Furrer, Reinhard & Bengtsson, Thomas, 2007. "Estimation of high-dimensional prior and posterior covariance matrices in Kalman filter variants," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 227-255, February.
- Jianhua Z. Huang & Naiping Liu & Mohsen Pourahmadi & Linxu Liu, 2006. "Covariance matrix selection and estimation via penalised normal likelihood," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(1), pages 85-98, March.
- Bradley Efron, 2004. "The Estimation of Prediction Error: Covariance Penalties and Cross-Validation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 619-632, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:58:y:2013:i:c:p:339-351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.