Small area estimation with spatio-temporal Fay–Herriot models
Small area estimation is studied under a spatio-temporal Fay–Herriot model. Model fitting based on restricted maximum likelihood is described and empirical best linear unbiased predictors are derived under the model. A parametric bootstrap procedure is proposed for the estimation of the mean squared error of the small area estimators. The spatio-temporal model is compared with simpler models through simulation experiments, analyzing the gain in efficiency achieved by the use of the more complex model. The performance of the parametric bootstrap estimator of the mean squared error is also assessed. An application with Spanish EU-SILC data is carried out to obtain estimates of poverty indicators for Spanish provinces in 2008, making use of survey data from years 2004–2008.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 58 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May.
- González-Manteiga, W. & Lombardia, M.J. & Molina, I. & Morales, D. & Santamaria, L., 2008. "Analytic and bootstrap approximations of prediction errors under a multivariate Fay-Herriot model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5242-5252, August.
- Esteban, M.D. & Morales, D. & Pérez, A. & Santamaría, L., 2012. "Small area estimation of poverty proportions under area-level time models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(10), pages 2840-2855.
- Isabel Molina & Nicola Salvati & Monica Pratesi, 2009. "Bootstrap for estimating the MSE of the Spatial EBLUP," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 441-458, August.
- Guillermo Villa & Isabel Molina & Roland Fried, 2011. "Modeling attendance at Spanish professional football league," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 1189-1206, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:58:y:2013:i:c:p:308-325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.