Variance estimation in censored quantile regression via induced smoothing
Statistical inference in censored quantile regression is challenging, partly due to the unsmoothness of the quantile score function. A new procedure is developed to estimate the variance of the Bang and Tsiatis inverse-censoring-probability weighted estimator for censored quantile regression by employing the idea of induced smoothing. The proposed variance estimator is shown to be asymptotically consistent. In addition, a numerical study suggests that the proposed procedure performs well in finite samples, and it is computationally more efficient than the commonly used bootstrap method.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2004.
"Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1453, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2006. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods For Quantile Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 173-205, April.
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models," Econometrics 0310005, EconWPA.
- Wang, You-Gan & Shao, Quanxi & Zhu, Min, 2009. "Quantile regression without the curse of unsmoothness," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(10), pages 3696-3705, August.
- B. M. Brown & You-Gan Wang, 2005. "Standard errors and covariance matrices for smoothed rank estimators," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(1), pages 149-158, March.
- Honore, Bo & Khan, Shakeeb & Powell, James L., 2002. "Quantile regression under random censoring," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 67-105, July.
- Wang, Huixia Judy & Wang, Lan, 2009. "Locally Weighted Censored Quantile Regression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1117-1128.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Peng, Limin & Huang, Yijian, 2008. "Survival Analysis With Quantile Regression Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 637-649, June.
- Heller, Glenn, 2007. "Smoothed Rank Regression With Censored Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 552-559, June.
- Lynn M. Johnson & Robert L. Strawderman, 2009. "Induced smoothing for the semiparametric accelerated failure time model: asymptotics and extensions to clustered data," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 577-590.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1998. "Bootstrap Methods for Covariance Structures," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 39-61.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Fu, Liya & Wang, You-Gan & Bai, Zhidong, 2010. "Rank regression for analysis of clustered data: A natural induced smoothing approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1036-1050, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:4:p:785-796. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.