Adaptive R charts with variable parameters
The Shewhart R control chart (R chart) has been widely used to monitor process variance. However, the main disadvantage of an R chart is its slowness to signal small increases on the variability. In this paper, ideas of adaptive control charts are extended to the Shewhart R chart for improving efficiency in signaling increases on the variance. A Markov chain model is applied to evaluate its performance. The statistical performance shows that the R chart with variable parameters (VP) is more sensitive to variance increases.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Celano, 2009. "Robust design of adaptive control charts for manual manufacturing/inspection workstations," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 181-203.
- He, David & Grigoryan, Arsen, 2006. "Joint statistical design of double sampling and s charts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 122-142, January.
- Luo, Yunzhao & Li, Zhonghua & Wang, Zhaojun, 2009. "Adaptive CUSUM control chart with variable sampling intervals," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2693-2701, May.
- Shu, Lianjie & Jiang, Wei & Wu, Zhang, 2008. "Adaptive CUSUM procedures with Markovian mean estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 4395-4409, May.
- De Magalhaes, Maysa S. & Epprecht, Eugenio K. & Costa, Antonio F. B., 2001. "Economic design of a Vp chart," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 191-200, December.
- Lin, Yu-Chang & Chou, Chao-Yu, 2007. "Non-normality and the variable parameters control charts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 361-373, January.
- Chen, Yan-Kwang & Hsieh, Kun-Lin, 2007. "Hotelling's T2 charts with variable sample size and control limit," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(3), pages 1251-1262, November.
- Torng, Chau-Chen & Lee, Pei-Hsi & Liao, Nai-Yi, 2009. "An economic-statistical design of double sampling control chart," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 495-500, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:5:p:2003-2010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.