Adaptive R charts with variable parameters
The Shewhart R control chart (R chart) has been widely used to monitor process variance. However, the main disadvantage of an R chart is its slowness to signal small increases on the variability. In this paper, ideas of adaptive control charts are extended to the Shewhart R chart for improving efficiency in signaling increases on the variance. A Markov chain model is applied to evaluate its performance. The statistical performance shows that the R chart with variable parameters (VP) is more sensitive to variance increases.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Yu-Chang & Chou, Chao-Yu, 2007. "Non-normality and the variable parameters control charts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 361-373, January.
- He, David & Grigoryan, Arsen, 2006. "Joint statistical design of double sampling and s charts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 122-142, January.
- Luo, Yunzhao & Li, Zhonghua & Wang, Zhaojun, 2009. "Adaptive CUSUM control chart with variable sampling intervals," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2693-2701, May.
- De Magalhaes, Maysa S. & Epprecht, Eugenio K. & Costa, Antonio F. B., 2001. "Economic design of a Vp chart," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 191-200, December.
- Shu, Lianjie & Jiang, Wei & Wu, Zhang, 2008. "Adaptive CUSUM procedures with Markovian mean estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 4395-4409, May.
- Torng, Chau-Chen & Lee, Pei-Hsi & Liao, Nai-Yi, 2009. "An economic-statistical design of double sampling control chart," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 495-500, August.
- Giovanni Celano, 2009. "Robust design of adaptive control charts for manual manufacturing/inspection workstations," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 181-203.
- Chen, Yan-Kwang & Hsieh, Kun-Lin, 2007. "Hotelling's T2 charts with variable sample size and control limit," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(3), pages 1251-1262, November.