Optimal expectile smoothing
Quantiles are computed by optimizing an asymmetrically weighted L1 norm, i.e. the sum of absolute values of residuals. Expectiles are obtained in a similar way when using an L2 norm, i.e. the sum of squares. Computation is extremely simple: weighted regression leads to the global minimum in a handful of iterations. Least asymmetrically weighted squares are combined with P-splines to compute smooth expectile curves. Asymmetric cross-validation and the Schall algorithm for mixed models allow efficient optimization of the smoothing parameter. Performance is illustrated on simulated and empirical data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506.
- Zou, Hui & Yuan, Ming, 2008. "Regularized simultaneous model selection in multiple quantiles regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5296-5304, August.
- Yuan, Ming, 2006. "GACV for quantile smoothing splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 813-829, February.
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L, 1987. "Asymmetric Least Squares Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 819-47, July.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2009:i:12:p:4168-4177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.