Bootstrap-based tests for deterministic time-varying coefficients in regression models
The problem of structural change justifiably attracts considerable attention in econometrics. A number of different paradigms have been adopted, ranging from structural breaks which are sudden and rare, to time-varying coefficient models, which exhibit structural change more frequently and continuously. This paper is concerned with parametric econometric models whose coefficients change deterministically and smoothly over time. In particular, tests for the null hypothesis of no structural change versus the alternative hypothesis of smooth deterministic structural change are provided and discussed. The use of bootstrap tests is advocated. These tests perform well in an extensive Monte Carlo study.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 2001. "Goodness-of-fit tests for kernel regression with an application to option implied volatilities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 363-412, December.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996. "Bootstrap Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Numerical Performance," Econometrics 9602009, EconWPA, revised 05 Mar 1996.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- George Kapetanios & Elias Tzavalis, 2004. "The Impact of Large Structural Shocks on Economic Relationships: Evidence from Oil Price Shocks," Working Papers 524, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2003. "An algorithm to estimate time-varying parameter SURE models under different types of restriction," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 363-383, March.
- Olivier SCAILLET, 2001.
"Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Guassian Kernels,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- O. Scaillet, 2001. "Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Gaussian Kernels," THEMA Working Papers 2001-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- J. L. Horowitz, 1995. "Bootstrap Methods In Econometrics: Theory And Numerical Performance," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,63, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Swamy, P.A.V.B. & Tavlas, George S. & Chang, I-Lok, 2005. "How stable are monetary policy rules: estimating the time-varying coefficients in monetary policy reaction function for the US," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 575-590, April.
- Fan, Yanqin, 1998. "Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based On Kernel Density Estimators With Fixed Smoothing Parameters," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 604-621, October.
- Orbe, Susan & Ferreira, Eva & Rodriguez-Poo, Juan, 2005.
"Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 53-77, May.
- Rodríguez Poo, Juan M. & Ferreira García, María Eva & Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan, 2001. "Nonparametric estimation of time varying parameters under shape restrictions," BILTOKI 2001-02, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1992. "The CUSUM Test with OLS Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 271-85, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:53:y:2008:i:2:p:534-545. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.