Preparation, characterization and thermal properties of PMMA/n-heptadecane microcapsules as novel solid-liquid microPCM for thermal energy storage
This study is focused on the preparation, characterization and thermal properties of microencapsulated n-heptadecane with polymethylmethacrylate shell. The PMMA/heptadecane microcapsules were synthesized as novel solid-liquid microencapsulated phase change material (microPCMs) by emulsion polymerization method. The chemical and thermal characterization of the microPCMs were investigated using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and thermogravimetry analysis (TGA). The diameters of microPCMs were found in the narrow range (0.14-0.40Â [mu]m) under the stirring speed of 2000Â rpm. The spherical surfaces of microPCMs were smooth and compact. The DSC results show that microPCMs have good energy storage capacity. Thermal cycling test showed that the microPCMs have good thermal reliability with respect to the changes in their thermal properties after repeated 5000 thermal cycling. TGA analyses also indicated that the microPCMs degraded in three steps and have good thermal stability. Based on all results, it can be considered that the PMMA/heptadecane microcapsules as novel solid-liquid microPCMs have good energy storage potential.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 87 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Weilong & Yang, Xiaoxi & Fang, Yutang & Ding, Jing & Yan, Jinyue, 2009. "Enhanced thermal conductivity and thermal performance of form-stable composite phase change materials by using [beta]-Aluminum nitride," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(7-8), pages 1196-1200, July.
- Hawlader, M. N. A. & Uddin, M. S. & Khin, Mya Mya, 2003. "Microencapsulated PCM thermal-energy storage system," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-2), pages 195-202, January.
- Kenisarin, Murat & Mahkamov, Khamid, 2007. "Solar energy storage using phase change materials," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(9), pages 1913-1965, December.
- Xiao, Wei & Wang, Xin & Zhang, Yinping, 2009. "Analytical optimization of interior PCM for energy storage in a lightweight passive solar room," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 2013-2018, October.
- Mawire, A. & McPherson, M. & Heetkamp, R.R.J. van den & Mlatho, S.J.P., 2009. "Simulated performance of storage materials for pebble bed thermal energy storage (TES) systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(7-8), pages 1246-1252, July.
- Rady, Mohamed, 2009. "Thermal performance of packed bed thermal energy storage units using multiple granular phase change composites," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(12), pages 2704-2720, December.
- Wang, Weilong & Yang, Xiaoxi & Fang, Yutang & Ding, Jing, 2009. "Preparation and performance of form-stable polyethylene glycol/silicon dioxide composites as solid-liquid phase change materials," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 170-174, February.
- Kuznik, Frédéric & Virgone, Joseph, 2009. "Experimental assessment of a phase change material for wall building use," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 2038-2046, October.
- Wang, Weilong & Yang, Xiaoxi & Fang, Yutang & Ding, Jing & Yan, Jinyue, 2009. "Preparation and thermal properties of polyethylene glycol/expanded graphite blends for energy storage," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(9), pages 1479-1483, September.
- Medrano, M. & Yilmaz, M.O. & Nogués, M. & Martorell, I. & Roca, Joan & Cabeza, Luisa F., 2009. "Experimental evaluation of commercial heat exchangers for use as PCM thermal storage systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(10), pages 2047-2055, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:87:y:2010:i:5:p:1529-1534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.