The Attractiveness of Qatar to Foreign Direct Investment, 1980-2002
The objective of this paper is to examine the factors that determine the inflow of foreign direct investment to Qatar and the attractiveness of the country to foreign direct investment i.e., identifying the role of major macroeconomic variables that determine FDI, namely; Gross Domestic Product, exports, government spending and the degree of openness. It also aims at evaluating the dynamic behavior of the proposed variables. The importance of this paper stems from the fact that Qatar is undertaking the process of privatization, joining the WTO and planning on attaining a sustainable economic growth to maximize the benefits to its people and solving the potentially challenging problem unemployment. Test results show that foreign direct investment in the short-run is affected mainly by government spending and gross domestic product.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, .
"What does Liberalisation do for Exports and Growth?,"
ec4/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, 1994. "What does liberalisation do for exports and growth?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(1), pages 152-174, March.
- V N Balasubramanyam & M Salisu & David Sapsford., .
"Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries,"
ec18/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Salisu, M & Sapsford, David, 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth in EP and IS Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 92-105, January.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1996. "Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 553, 10.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- M. Ramírez, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment in Mexico: A Cointegration Analysis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 138-162, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:5:y:2005:i:3_7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.