Rachats d’actions versus dividendes:effet de substitution sur le marché boursier français?
(VF)Depuis 1998, les sociétés françaises cotées en bourse peuvent utiliser des programmes de rachat d’actions. Cette possibilité constitue une alternative au paiement « traditionnel » du dividende. Entre 1998 et 2001, les sociétés de notre échantillon ont procédé à 37,2 Md€ de rachat d’actions contre 47,8 Md€ de dividendes. Toutefois, l’hypothèse de substitution entre rachat d’actions et dividende ne semble pas valide. Nous montrons que les firmes les plus actives en matière de rachat d’actions sont également celles qui présentent les politiques de dividende les plus généreuses. En fait, dividende et rachat d’actions apparaissent complémentaires.(VA)Since 1998, French public firms can use open market share repurchases. We hypothesize that this opportunity represents an alternative means of paying out cash to shareholders when compared to the “classical” dividend. Between 1998 and 2001, the firms in our sample spent 37.2 billion € in share repurchases against 47.8 billion € in dividends. However, the substitution hypothesis between dividends and share repurchases does not seem to hold. We show that the most active firms in repurchases also present the highest dividend policies. In fact, dividends and share repurchases appear to be complementary.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "Managerial control of voting rights : Financing policies and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 25-54, January.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Skinner, Douglas J., 2000. "Special dividends and the evolution of dividend signaling," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-354, September.
- Christine Jolls, 1998. "Stock Repurchases and Incentive Compensation," NBER Working Papers 6467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaely, Roni & Thaler, Richard H & Womack, Kent L, 1995.
" Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 573-608, June.
- Roni Michaely & Richard H. Thaler & Kent Womack, 1994. "Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?," NBER Working Papers 4778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denis, David J. & Denis, Diane K. & Sarin, Atulya, 1994. "The Information Content of Dividend Changes: Cash Flow Signaling, Overinvestment, and Dividend Clienteles," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 567-587, December.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 2001.
"Disappearing dividends: changing firm characteristics or lower propensity to pay?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 3-43, April.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2001. "Disappearing Dividends: Changing Firm Characteristics Or Lower Propensity To Pay?," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 14(1), pages 67-79.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, . "Disappearing Dividends: Changing Firm Characteristics or Lower Propensity to Pay?."," CRSP working papers 509, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2002. "Dividends, Share Repurchases, and the Substitution Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1649-1684, 08.
- David L. Ikenberry & Theo Vermaelen, 1996. "The Option to Repurchase Stock," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(4), Winter.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2004. "The Information Content of Share Repurchase Programs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 651-680, 04.
- de Jong, A. & van Dijk, R. & Veld, C.H., 2000. "The Dividend and Share Repurchase Policies of Canadian Firms : Empirical Evidence based on New Research Design," Discussion Paper 2000-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & J. Randall Woolridge, 1988. "An Analysis Of Shareholder Reaction To Dividend Cuts And Omissions," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 11(4), pages 281-294, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dij:revfcs:v:9:y:2006:i:q1:p:157-186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.