Living arrangements, intergenerational support types and older adult loneliness in Eastern and Western Europe
Aim of this study was to investigate older adult loneliness as linked with living arrangements and intergenerational support, using data from the Generations and Gender Surveys for East and West European countries. Older adults living alone were most lonely, older adults living with a partner were least lonely. Coresidence provides protection, but not to the same degree as a partner. Intergenational support flows primarily downward. Older adults who were primarily on the receiving side were most lonely, particularly if they were in coresident households. Older adults who were primarily on the giving side were generally least lonely.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ami Rokach & Tricia Orzeck & Janice Cripps & Katica Lackovic-Grgin & Zvjezdan Penezic, 2001. "The Effects of Culture on the Meaning of Loneliness," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 17-31, January.
- Carlson, Per, 1998. "Self-perceived health in East and West Europe: another European health divide," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1355-1366, March.
- Andres Vikat & Zsolt Spéder & Gijs Beets & Francesco Billari & Christoph Bühler & Aline Désesquelles & Tineke Fokkema & Jan M. Hoem & Alphonse MacDonald & Gerda Neyer & Ariane Pailhé & Antonella Pinne, 2007. "Generations and Gender Survey (GGS)," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 17(14), pages 389-440, November.
- Friedel Bolle & Simon Kemp, 2009. "Can We Compare Life Satisfaction Between Nationalities? Evaluating Actual and Imagined Situations," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 397-408, February.
- Erin York Cornwell & Linda J. Waite, 2009. "Measuring Social Isolation Among Older Adults Using Multiple Indicators From the NSHAP Study," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 64(suppl_1), pages i38-i46.
- Jenny de Jong Gierveld & Marjolein Broese van Groenou & Adriaan W. Hoogendoorn & Johannes H. Smit, 2009. "Quality of Marriages in Later Life and Emotional and Social Loneliness," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 64(4), pages 497-506.
- Berkman, Lisa F. & Glass, Thomas & Brissette, Ian & Seeman, Teresa E., 2000. "From social integration to health: Durkheim in the new millennium," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 843-857, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dem:demres:v:27:y:2012:i:7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.