The Tyranny of Numbers or the Tyranny of Methodology: Explaining the East Asian Growth Experience
This paper applies the theory and insights of Maurice Scott¡¯s New View of Economic Growth (1989) to challenge the analysis and conclusions of Alwyn Young¡¯s widely acclaimed paper, ¡±The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience¡± (1995), which purports to show that growth in the East Asian NICs was mainly due to factor accumulation, with little technical change or total factor productivity growth. It is argued that Young¡¯s empirical findings result from the inappropriate, albeit widely adopted, practice of subtracting depreciation from gross investment in measuring the contribution of investment to growth.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Kuznets & Elizabeth Jenks, 1961. "Introduction to "Capital in the American Economy: Its Formation and Financing"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital in the American Economy: Its Formation and Financing, pages 3-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott, Maurice, 1992. "A New Theory of Endogenous Economic Growth," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(4), pages 29-42, Winter.
- Dan Usher, 1973. "The Measurement of Economic Growth," Working Papers 145, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Simon Kuznets & Elizabeth Jenks, 1961. "Appendices and Index to "Capital in the American Economy: Its Formation and Financing"," NBER Chapters, in: Capital in the American Economy: Its Formation and Financing, pages 465-664 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alwyn Young, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-680.
- Simon Kuznets & Elizabeth Jenks, 1961. "Summary of Findings," NBER Chapters, in: Capital in the American Economy: Its Formation and Financing, pages 389-428 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2007:v:8:i:1:p:385-396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.