Costs, Savings Incentives and OAS/GIS
An aging population will raise the cost of Canada's Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement (OAS/ GIS) programs. If the benefit levels under OAS and GIS were increased in line with wages to maintain their antipoverty effectiveness, the program cost would double by 2030 as a percentage of the gross domestic product. With this scenario as a base, we employ a life-cycle model to explore the effect of program design changes on the cost of benefits, taking into account the interaction between OAS/GIS benefits and private retirement saving. One finding is that, despite savings responses, raising--not lowering--the 50 percent benefit-reduction rate under the GIS would reduce program costs.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 34 (2008)
Issue (Month): s1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Karl Scholz & Ananth Seshadri & Surachai Khitatrakun, 2006.
"Are Americans Saving "Optimally" for Retirement?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 607-643, August.
- Jeremy Lise, . "Is Canada’s Retirement Income System Working?," Working Papers-Department of Finance Canada 2003-02, Department of Finance Canada.
- Engen, Eric & Gale, William & Uccello, Cori, 1999. "The Adequacy of Household Saving," MPRA Paper 56442, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael J. Daly, 1981. "The Role of Registered Retirement Savings Plans in a Life-Cycle Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 409-21, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:34:y:2008:i:s1:p:119-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.