How Problems of Organisational Growth in Firms Affect Industry Entry and Exit
Many newly emerging industries show similar patterns of development regarding entry and exit dynamics. This paper argues that several features of exit and new entry into industries through diversification and spinoff formation can be related to problems arising within firms when their organizations grow during the industry?s life cycle. Drawing on earlier work, the growth-induced learning and coordination problems of the firms are outlined and their impact at the industry level is discussed. JEL Classification: L25, L59, O31.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007.
"Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 30(3), pages 179-202, May.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2006. "Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-20, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-272, May.
- Witt, Ulrich, 2000. "Changing Cognitive Frames--Changing Organizational Forms: An Entrepreneurial Theory of Organizational Development," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 733-755, December.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Ziegler, Charles A., 1985. "Innovation and the imitative entrepreneur," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 103-121, June.
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2005.
"Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tire Cluster Revisited,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-08, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2009. "Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tyre Cluster Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 705-733, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_073_62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.