How Problems of Organisational Growth in Firms Affect Industry Entry and Exit
Many newly emerging industries show similar patterns of development regarding entry and exit dynamics. This paper argues that several features of exit and new entry into industries through diversification and spinoff formation can be related to problems arising within firms when their organizations grow during the industry?s life cycle. Drawing on earlier work, the growth-induced learning and coordination problems of the firms are outlined and their impact at the industry level is discussed. JEL Classification: L25, L59, O31.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Witt, Ulrich, 1998. "Imagination and leadership - The neglected dimension of an evolutionary theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Ziegler, Charles A., 1985. "Innovation and the imitative entrepreneur," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 103-121, June.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2005.
"Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tire Cluster Revisited,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2005-08, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Guido Buenstorf & Steven Klepper, 2009. "Heritage and Agglomeration: The Akron Tyre Cluster Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 705-733, 04.
- Witt, Ulrich, 2000. "Changing Cognitive Frames--Changing Organizational Forms: An Entrepreneurial Theory of Organizational Development," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 733-55, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521813297 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guido Buenstorf, 2007.
"Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 179-202, May.
- Guido Buenstorf, 2006. "Evolution on the Shoulders of Giants: Entrepreneurship and Firm Survival in the German Laser Industry," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2005-20, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- repec:fiu:wpaper:0404 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_073_62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.