Likelihood Ratio Testing for Hidden Markov Models Under Non-standard Conditions
In practical applications, when testing parametric restrictions for hidden Markov models (HMMs), one frequently encounters non-standard situations such as testing for zero entries in the transition matrix, one-sided tests for the parameters of the transition matrix or for the components of the stationary distribution of the underlying Markov chain, or testing boundary restrictions on the parameters of the state-dependent distributions. In this paper, we briefly discuss how the relevant asymptotic distribution theory for the likelihood ratio test (LRT) when the true parameter is on the boundary extends from the independent and identically distributed situation to HMMs. Then we concentrate on discussing a number of relevant examples. The finite-sample performance of the LRT in such situations is investigated in a simulation study. An application to series of epileptic seizure counts concludes the paper. Copyright (c) Board of the Foundation of the Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 2008.
Volume (Year): 35 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0303-6898|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0303-6898|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leroux, Brian G., 1992. "Maximum-likelihood estimation for hidden Markov models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 127-143, February.
- Tobias Rydén & Timo Teräsvirta & Stefan Åsbrink, 1998.
"Stylized facts of daily return series and the hidden Markov model,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 217-244.
- Rydén, Tobias & Teräsvirta, Timo & Åsbrink, Stefan, 1996. "Stylized Facts of Daily Return Series and the Hidden Markov Model," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 117, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Paolo Giudici & Tobias Ryden & Pierre Vandekerkhove, 2000. "Likelihood-Ratio Tests for Hidden Markov Models," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 742-747, 09.
- Francesco Bartolucci, 2006. "Likelihood inference for a class of latent Markov models under linear hypotheses on the transition probabilities," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 155-178. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:scjsta:v:35:y:2008:i:2:p:309-321. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.