Harmonization Of Goodwill Reporting Practice In The Consolidated Financial Statements Of Romanian Groups
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the current state of consolidated reporting practiceharmonization concerning the extant methods for evaluating and reporting goodwill in the consolidatedfinancial statements of Romanian groups. In order to attain our purpose we selected financial and non-financial Romanian groups that were listed in the Bucharest Stock Exchange and we analyzed, first in aqualitative manner, for a period of five years starting 2007, the notes to their consolidated financial statementswith the design to establish exactly which of the methods stated in the International Financial ReportingStandards were being used for evaluating and reporting goodwill. The quantitative analysis, based on whichcertain conclusions about the current state of material harmonization concerning the practice of evaluatingand reporting goodwill could be extracted, was performed by using the Herfindahl Index. The results obtainedby calculating the Herfindahl Index indicate that throughout the entire period taken into account the value ofthe Index is constant and equal to 1, meaning that with respect to goodwill reporting practice, the groupsconsidered make use of the same method, the purchase goodwill approach. Based on the results, ourconclusion is that from the point of view of goodwill reporting practice, the groups analyzed are fullyharmonized.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jens Wüstemann & Sonja Wüstemann, 2010. "Why Consistency of Accounting Standards Matters: A Contribution to the Rules-Versus-Principles Debate in Financial Reporting," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 46(1), pages 1-27.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
826, HEC Paris.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Leandro Canibano & Araceli Mora, 2000. "Evaluating the statistical significance of de facto accounting harmonization: a study of European global players," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 349-369.
- Tiron Tudor Adriana, 2010. "Disclosure Practices Concerning Consolidated Financial Statemens Of Romanians Groups Of Entites," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 601-606, July.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2009.
"The role of the IASB and auditing standards in the aftermath of the 2008/2009 Financial Crisis,"
17164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ojo, Marianne, 2010. "The role of the IASB and auditing standards in the aftermath of the 2008/2009 Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 20330, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Standish, 2003. "Evaluating National Capacity for Direct Participation in International Accounting Harmonization: France as a Test Case," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 39(2), pages 186-210.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy & Y. Ding & O. K. Hope, 2007. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Post-Print halshs-00126772, HAL.
- Qu, Xiaohui & Zhang, Guohua, 2010. "Measuring the convergence of national accounting standards with international financial reporting standards: The application of fuzzy clustering analysis," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 334-355, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:alu:journl:v:2:y:2012:i:14:p:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan-Constantin Danuletiu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.