Estimating potential output: a survey of the alternative methods and their applications to Brazil
AbstractThis paper presents the main issues involved in estimating potential output. The objective is to describe the alternative methods and analyze their application and implications for growth forecasts and macroeconomic policy in Brazil. The text emphasizes the determinants of potential output under fixed and flexible coefficients of production. Given the wide use of aggregate measures of total factor productivity in growth accounting, and the sensitivity of such a variable to economic assumptions and errors of measurement, the text also presents the main applied critiques and alternatives to aggregate growth-accounting exercises. The main conclusions are: (1) the annual potential growth rate of Brazil’s GDP varies substantially depending on the method and hypotheses adopted and, what is most important, potential GDP is not separable from effective GDP in the long-run; (2) growth-accounting and time-series studies of Brazil result in low potential-output growth rates because they extrapolate the slow growth of 1981-2003 to the future; (3) capital seems to be the main constraint on growth in Brazil and, therefore, a demand-led increase in investment can raise both its effective and potential output levels; (4) however, because of the slow adjustment of the capital stock, an investment boom can also hit a supply constraint before the stock of capital has time to adjust to the growth rate of investment; and (5) aggregate measures of potential output do not carry much information about the economy and, therefore, they should be complemented by sectoral estimates of capacity utilization to identify the bottlenecks in inter-industry flows and the corresponding demand pressures on inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0503003.
Length: 79 pages
Date of creation: 04 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 79
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Potential Output; Brazil;
Other versions of this item:
- Nelson H. Barbosa Filho, 2005. "Estimating Potential Output : a Survey of the Alternative Methods and their Applications to Brazil," Discussion Papers 1092, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1, May.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1992. "Business Cycles: Theory, History, Indicators, and Forecasting," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number zarn92-1, May.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1997.
"I just ran four million regressions,"
Economics Working Papers
201, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Refet S. Gurkaynak, 2001.
"Is Growth Exogenous? Taking Mankiw, Romer and Weil Seriously,"
NBER Working Papers
8365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2002. "Is Growth Exogenous? Taking Mankiw, Romer, and Weil Seriously," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2001, Volume 16, pages 11-72 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1983. "A Plain Man's Guide to Kaldor's Growth Laws," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 345-358, April.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998.
"Business Cycle Fluctuations in U.S. Macroeconomic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
6528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1999. "Business cycle fluctuations in us macroeconomic time series," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-64 Elsevier.
- James K. Galbraith, 1997. "Time to Ditch the NAIRU," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-108, Winter.
- Hofman, Andre A, 1992. "Capital Accumulation in Latin America: A Six Country Comparison for 1950-89," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 38(4), pages 365-401, December.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, October.
- Joseph Stiglitz, 1997. "Reflections on the Natural Rate Hypothesis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 3-10, Winter.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996.
"The Time-varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and Its Implications for Economic Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-32, Winter.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1996. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," NBER Working Papers 5735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zarnowitz, Victor, 1992. "Business Cycles," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, number 9780226978901.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996.
"What We Know and Do Not Know About the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
5822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 51-72, Winter.
- Blanchard, O & Katz, L, 1996. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Working papers 96-29, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Edmar Lisboa Bacha & Regis Bonelli, 2004. "Accounting for Brazil`s Growth Experience - 1940 - 2002," Discussion Papers 1018, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Watson, Mark W., 1986. "Univariate detrending methods with stochastic trends," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 49-75, July.
- Kim, H Youn, 1992. "The Translog Production Function and Variable Returns to Scale," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 546-52, August.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1983. "Kaldor's Laws in Retrospect," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 414-429, April.
- Charles R. Hulten, 2000. "Total Factor Productivity: A Short Biography," NBER Working Papers 7471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcelo Kfoury Muinhos & Sergio Afonso Lago Alves, 2003. "Medium-Size Macroeconomic Model for the Brazilian Economy," Working Papers Series 64, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Jesus Felipe & Franklin M. Fisher, 2003. "Aggregation in Production Functions: What Applied Economists should Know," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 208-262, 05.
- Zvi Griliches, 1995.
"The Discovery of the Residual: A Historic Note,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1742, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 1999. "A Note on the Theory of Demand-Led Growth," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 1999-06, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Zvi Griliches, 1995.
"The Discovery of the Residual: An Historical Note,"
NBER Working Papers
5348, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adalmir Marquetti, 2000. "Estimativa do estoque de riqueza tangível no Brasil, 1950-1998 [An estimate of the fixed tangible wealth in Brazil, 1950-1998]," Nova Economia, Economics Department, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil), vol. 10(2), pages 11-38, December.
- Gomes, Victor & Pessoa, Samuel de Abreu & Veloso, Fernando A., 2003. "Evolução da Produtividade Total dos Fatores na Economia Brasileira: Uma Análise Comparativa," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 483, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2003.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2002, Volume 17, pages 159-230
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Ronaldo de Castro Souza Júnior, 2005. "Produto Potencial: Conceitos, Métodos de Estimação e Aplicação à Economia Brasileira," Discussion Papers 1130, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Edson Paulo Domingues & Marco Flavio da Cunha Resende & Aline Souza Magalhães & Admir Antonio Betarelli Junior, 2010.
"Cenário macroeconômico para a economia brasileira 2010-2025: repercussões no estado de Minas Gerais e seus municípios,"
Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG
td383, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Edson Paulo Domingues & Marco Flavio da Cunha Resende & Aline Souza Magalhães & Admir Antonio Betarelli Junior, 2010. "Cenário Macroeconômico Para A Economia Brasileira 2010-2025: Repercussões No Estado De Minas Gerais E Seus Municípios," Anais do XIV Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 14th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: Anais do XIV Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 14th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Franklin Serrano & Ricardo Summa, 2011. "Macroeconomic Policy, Growth and Income Distribution in the Brazilian Economy in the 2000s," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2011-13, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- S. Adnan H. A. S., Bukhari & Safdar Ullah, Khan, 2008. "Estimating Output Gap for Pakistan Economy:Structural and Statistical Approaches," MPRA Paper 9736, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Jun 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.