Macroeconomic Policy, Growth and Income Distribution in the Brazilian Economy in the 2000s
AbstractThe Brazilian economy grew by 4.2 percent annually from 2004-2010, more than double its annual growth from 1999-2003 or indeed its growth rate over the prior quarter century. This growth was accompanied by a significant reduction in poverty and extreme poverty, especially after 2005, as well as reduced inequality. This paper looks at the combination of external changes and changes in macroeconomic policy that contributed to these results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) in its series CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs with number 2011-13.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1611 Connecticut Ave, NW Suite 400, Washington, DC 20009
Phone: (202) 293-5380
Fax: (202) 588 1356
Web page: http://www.cepr.net/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
- I - Health, Education, and Welfare
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson H. Barbosa Filho, 2005.
"Estimating Potential Output : a Survey of the Alternative Methods and their Applications to Brazil,"
1092, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Nelson H Barbosa-Filho, 2005. "Estimating potential output: a survey of the alternative methods and their applications to Brazil," Macroeconomics 0503003, EconWPA.
- Bresser Pereira,Luiz Carlos, 2010.
"Globalization and Competition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521144537, October.
- Frenkel, Roberto, 2012. "Lecciones de politica macroeconómica para el desarrollo, a la luz de la experiencia del pasado decenio," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(313), pages 5-49, enero-mar.
- Nelson Barbosa-Filho, 2008. "Inflation targeting in Brazil: 1999-2006," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 187-200.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.