Estimating Potential Output : a Survey of the Alternative Methods and their Applications to Brazil
AbstractThis paper presents the main issues involved in estimating potential output. Theobjective is to describe the alternative methods and analyze their application andimplications for growth forecasts and macroeconomic policy in Brazil. The textemphasizes the determinants of potential output under fixed and flexible coefficientsof production. Given the wide use of aggregate measures of Total Factor Productivityin growth accounting, and the sensitivity of such a variable to economic assumptionsand errors of measurement, the text also presents the main applied critiques andalternatives to aggregate growth-accounting exercises. The main conclusions are: i)the annual potential growth rate of Brazil?s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) variessubstantially depending on the method and hypotheses adopted and, what is mostimportant, potential GDP is not separable from effective GDP in the long-run; ii)growth-accounting and time-series studies of Brazil result in low potential-outputgrowth rates because they extrapolate the slow growth of 1981-2003 to the future;iii) capital seems to be the main constraint on growth in Brazil and, therefore, ademand-led increase in investment can raise both its effective and potential outputlevels; iv) however, because of the slow adjustment of the capital stock, an investmentboom can also hit a supply constraint before the stock of capital has time to adjust tothe growth rate of investment; and v) aggregate measures of potential output do notcarry much information about the economy and, therefore, they should becomplemented by sectoral estimates of capacity utilization to identify the bottlenecksin inter-industry flows and the corresponding demand pressures on inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA in its series Discussion Papers with number 1092.
Length: 79 pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: SBS - Quadra 01 - Bloco J - Ed. BNDES, Brasília, DF - 70076-90
Web page: http://www.ipea.gov.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Nelson H Barbosa-Filho, 2005. "Estimating potential output: a survey of the alternative methods and their applications to Brazil," Macroeconomics 0503003, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, October.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1, December.
- Blanchard, O & Katz, L, 1996.
"What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment,"
96-29, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "What We Know and Do Not Know about the Natural Rate of Unemployment," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 51-72, Winter.
- Olivier Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1996. "What We Know and Do Not Know About the Natural Rate of Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 5822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1996.
"The Discovery of the Residual: A Historical Note,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 34(3), pages 1324-1330, September.
- Zvi Griliches, 1995. "The Discovery of the Residual: An Historical Note," NBER Working Papers 5348, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1995. "The Discovery of the Residual: A Historic Note," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1742, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Jesus Felipe & Franklin M. Fisher, 2003. "Aggregation in Production Functions: What Applied Economists should Know," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2-3), pages 208-262, 05.
- Charles R. Hulten, 2000. "Total Factor Productivity: A Short Biography," NBER Working Papers 7471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1997.
"I Just Ran Two Million Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 178-83, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2003.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2002, Volume 17, pages 159-230
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2002.
"Is Growth Exogenous? Taking Mankiw, Romer, and Weil Seriously,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2001, Volume 16, pages 11-72
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Refet S. Gurkaynak, 2001. "Is Growth Exogenous? Taking Mankiw, Romer and Weil Seriously," NBER Working Papers 8365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997.
"The Time-Varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
5735, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1997. "The Time-Varying NAIRU and Its Implications for Economic Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 11-32, Winter.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1996. "The Time-varying NAIRU and its Implications for Economic Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph Stiglitz, 1997. "Reflections on the Natural Rate Hypothesis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 3-10, Winter.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 1999. "A Note on the Theory of Demand-Led Growth," SCEPA Working Papers 1999-06, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1992. "Business Cycles: Theory, History, Indicators, and Forecasting," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number zarn92-1, December.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1983. "A Plain Man's Guide to Kaldor's Growth Laws," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 345-358, April.
- Gomes, Victor & Pessoa, Samuel de Abreu & Veloso, Fernando A., 2003. "Evolução da Produtividade Total dos Fatores na Economia Brasileira: Uma Análise Comparativa," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 483, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Kim, H Youn, 1992. "The Translog Production Function and Variable Returns to Scale," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 546-52, August.
- Watson, Mark W., 1986. "Univariate detrending methods with stochastic trends," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 49-75, July.
- Zarnowitz, Victor, 1992. "Business Cycles," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, number 9780226978901, June.
- James K. Galbraith, 1997. "Time to Ditch the NAIRU," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-108, Winter.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1983. "Kaldor's Laws in Retrospect," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 414-429, April.
- Edson Paulo Domingues & Marco Flavio da Cunha Resende & Aline Souza Magalhães & Admir Antonio Betarelli Junior, 2010.
"Cenário Macroeconômico Para A Economia Brasileira 2010-2025: Repercussões No Estado De Minas Gerais E Seus Municípios,"
Anais do XIV Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 14th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais],
in: Anais do XIV Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 14th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais]
Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Edson Paulo Domingues & Marco Flavio da Cunha Resende & Aline Souza Magalhães & Admir Antonio Betarelli Junior, 2010. "Cenário macroeconômico para a economia brasileira 2010-2025: repercussões no estado de Minas Gerais e seus municípios," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td383, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- José Ronaldo de Castro Souza Júnior, 2005. "Produto Potencial: Conceitos, Métodos de Estimação e Aplicação à Economia Brasileira," Discussion Papers 1130, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- S. Adnan H. A. S., Bukhari & Safdar Ullah, Khan, 2008. "Estimating Output Gap for Pakistan Economy:Structural and Statistical Approaches," MPRA Paper 9736, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Jun 2008.
- Franklin Serrano & Ricardo Summa, 2011. "Macroeconomic Policy, Growth and Income Distribution in the Brazilian Economy in the 2000s," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2011-13, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabio Schiavinatto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.